• Winter 2015 - MBTA Shutdown

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Knucklehead

News Media is reporting that the MBTA will shut down today (Monday, February 9, 2015) at 7:00 PM, and will also be shut down Tuesday, February 10!

Usually "Trains Always Win", but Mother Nature is a much stronger force to be reckoned with!

"All service will be suspended"
  by johnpbarlow

Wonder why no commuter rail ops on Tuesday? Could put a lot if drivers in the highways if they think they can park at/near their place of work.
  by NH2060

In fairness to Gov. Baker it's not his fault that the weather has been wreaking havoc with the T's equipment and it's not his fault that the trains just can't keep up. If there are fingers to be pointed at it should be to anyone in the Patrick administration, and the Legislature who failed to seek a funding source/solution to expedite needed repairs, upgrades, replacements, etc.

As with what happened with the WALK Bridge replacement in CT it'll likely take a really big mess to bring about an injection of funding to make things better long term. The most vulnerable part of the T might as well be held together by spit and bailing wire.
  by Gerry6309

NH2060 wrote:In fairness to Gov. Baker it's not his fault that the weather has been wreaking havoc with the T's equipment and it's not his fault that the trains just can't keep up. If there are fingers to be pointed at it should be to anyone in the Patrick administration, and the Legislature who failed to seek a funding source/solution to expedite needed repairs, upgrades, replacements, etc.

As with what happened with the WALK Bridge replacement in CT it'll likely take a really big mess to bring about an injection of funding to make things better long term. The most vulnerable part of the T might as well be held together by spit and bailing wire.
No matter what state the equipment is in, the right-of-way must also be considered. There has been so much snow, that the tracks may need inspection to insure safety and proper switch and signal operation. Many of today's problems were switching and obstruction issues. A day of clean-up won't hurt.
  by johnpbarlow

Somewhat ironically, Amtrak is operating a full weekday NEC schedule to/from Boston on Tuesday 2/10/15 but is cancelling Downeaster service:

Amtrak Alert excerpt:

"Amtrak Downeaster Service Canceled Tuesday

Feb. 9, 2015 8:30 p.m. ET

Due to the severe winter weather, all Amtrak Downeaster service (Boston - Brunswick, Maine) is canceled on Tuesday, Feb. 10
Amtrak is planning to operate Northeast Regional and Acela Express service, operating between Washington and Boston, as scheduled...."

This would suggest that MBTA commuter rail service should be able to operate Tuesday between Providence and Boston. While watching Monday evening news, a traffic cam's view of the Pike at Allston showed the switch heaters were functioning on the Boston - Worcester line. Is anybody aware of commuter rail failures on Monday? I'm sure there were delays. Stopping all commuter rail service on what is to be a partly sunny day today seems draconian.
  by Diverging Route

johnpbarlow wrote: Due to the severe winter weather, all Amtrak Downeaster service (Boston - Brunswick, Maine) is canceled on Tuesday, Feb. 10
Amtrak is planning to operate Northeast Regional and Acela Express service, operating between Washington and Boston, as scheduled...."

This would suggest that MBTA commuter rail service should be able to operate Tuesday between Providence and Boston.
I'm on Amtrak 2151 now -- I got on at Route 128 at 0519 headed for NYC. We're at track speed and pretty much on time. I did see some people get off at PVD who presumably boarded in BOS using this service in place of MBTA CR.
  by deathtopumpkins

Posting the same response here I posted in the other thread:
johnpbarlow wrote:This would suggest that MBTA commuter rail service should be able to operate Tuesday between Providence and Boston.
No it wouldn't. Just because Amtrak is using the tracks doesn't mean that all of the commuter rail station platforms have been cleared, yards are accessible, crews are available, etc. There's a lot more involved.

Also, Amtrak is not running a full schedule:
Feb. 10, 2015
9:45 a.m. EST
Due to the recent snowfall in the New England area, Amtrak is operating a modified Northeast Regional and Acela Express schedule between New York and Boston on Tuesday, Feb. 10.
  by johnpbarlow

deathtopumpkins wrote:Posting the same response here I posted in the other thread:

No it wouldn't. Just because Amtrak is using the tracks doesn't mean that all of the commuter rail station platforms have been cleared, yards are accessible, crews are available, etc. There's a lot more involved.

Also, Amtrak is not running a full schedule:
Feb. 10, 2015
9:45 a.m. EST
Due to the recent snowfall in the New England area, Amtrak is operating a modified Northeast Regional and Acela Express schedule between New York and Boston on Tuesday, Feb. 10.
Understood but the MBTA gave us scant info as to why Commuter Rail which had been running during the Monday storm wouldn't be able to operate the day after. It was sort of implied that the T had to clean switches, etc. A few weeks ago after a snow storm the T promptly had platform cleaning crews out at various commuter rail stations. I doubt crew availability is an issue as people are driving on all the roads today. I think there must be many more shoes to drop here.
  by Komarovsky

Speaking of commuter rail, originally the message was that it would be up and running on Wednesday at 6am, but now that message is gone from the T's website and it looks like its up in the air if commuter rail will be back tomorrow.
  by TrainManTy

Komarovsky wrote:Speaking of commuter rail, originally the message was that it would be up and running on Wednesday at 6am, but now that message is gone from the T's website and it looks like its up in the air if commuter rail will be back tomorrow.
They're running lighter "Recovery Schedules". Links to each line's schedule (as PDFs) are on the main winter page.
  by Komarovsky

TrainManTy wrote:
Komarovsky wrote:Speaking of commuter rail, originally the message was that it would be up and running on Wednesday at 6am, but now that message is gone from the T's website and it looks like its up in the air if commuter rail will be back tomorrow.
They're running lighter "Recovery Schedules". Links to each line's schedule (as PDFs) are on the main winter page.
Ah, hadn't refreshed the page in a bit. Worcester line is going to be rough for riders east of Framingham since all the Framingham locals are cancelled in both directions.
  by octr202

They're also saying that Green and Blue will run with reduced service levels. No decision yet on Orange or Red levels - I'd bank on reduced.
  by TrainManTy

Komarovsky wrote:
TrainManTy wrote:
Ah, hadn't refreshed the page in a bit. Worcester line is going to be rough for riders east of Framingham since all the Framingham locals are cancelled in both directions.
Rough = Normal Service for the rest of us west of Framingham. :wink:

All of the expresses have been cancelled or converted to locals. They'll live.
  by WatertownCarBarn

Just came by Savin Hill; commuter line is relatively clear, but the Red line, both branches are covered. Only glimpses of third rail.
  by Komarovsky

TrainManTy wrote:
Komarovsky wrote:
TrainManTy wrote:
Rough = Normal Service for the rest of us west of Framingham. :wink:

All of the expresses have been cancelled or converted to locals. They'll live.
Oh believe me, this is one of the few times I'm happy that I get on in Worcester. Cant wait watch from my seat at the the faces of indignation and rage at the Wellesleys and Newtons when the conductors tell them that there's no room on 508 tomorrow.