• Will UP "train trench" Bankrupt Reno?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Jeff Smith

First, my compliments to the moderator of this thread, GOLDEN-ARM, as well as to all of our other moderators at railroad.net. I don't visit UP that often, but would like to recognize the time and commitment our moderators give to railroad.net.

Here's an interesting article on the trench through Reno, and it's financial effect on the city. While the article mostly covers the cost and effect on finances of the city, I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotes or thoughts as to how it was versus how it is?

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/we-told- ... id=2695815
“ReTRAC was a success!”

After it opened, Reno city officials were not shy about declaring the controversial downtown railroad trench an unqualified success. Despite critics’ dire predictions of huge cost overruns and engineering failures, construction went smoothly, and the increased train traffic is hardly noticeable downtown.

However, the critics also warned that the city couldn’t afford the trench and several other projects begun around the same time. That prophecy is now turning out to be true. So true in fact that the city can’t afford to pay the interest on its debts and faces possible default.

Down in the trench

The train tracks that divide Reno have divided the public since as early as 1946 when it was proposed to move them elsewhere, but no action was taken for 50 years when a merger between Union Pacific and Southern Pacific railroads was announced.

That’s when the Reno City Council swung into action. Spearheaded by then-Mayor Jeff Griffin, council members and key staff started showing up at Washoe County Commission and other public meetings stressing the need to do something about the train tracks.

Griffin predicted that between 40 and 50 trains a day would barrel through town bringing gridlock and safety concerns with them. The city protested the proposed merger, as did many other cities and towns along the rail line.