Railroad Forums 

• Will the PL42ACs beat the deadline?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#26411  by DutchRailnut

I believe someone stated that the PL42ac's must be delivered before January 2005 to comply with Tier I of EPA rules., after Jan Tier II kicks in.
With only 28 weeks left before Jan 2005 it would only be fair to question will Alstom make the deadline.
They need to deliver 1.5 locomotive per week to make the deadline.
or is person wrong about the deadline ?? so far we only know of the two units at Alstom In Hornell.

#26414  by nick11a

Yes, that is correct. According to TR's Newark BLE div. 373 site (which is down currently for some unbeknownst reason), the diesels must be delivered before January of this upcoming year as to avoid the stricter emission standards which take effect next year. As many of us have suspected, the diesels are running late. There was an article listed here within the past few days that finally confirmed our suspicions that the diesels are indeed running late (I believe it was 60 or 90 days late.) And what happens if they aren't delivered before the deadline? The earth will shake and the fires of hell will rise from out of it while a meteorite shower bombards this planet, decimating the objects which lay upon it.

#26420  by Jihn z

Nicely put Nick :wink:

#26453  by nick11a

Jihn z wrote:Nicely put Nick :wink:
Thanks. I might have been exagerating a bit- but not by much. :wink:

#26471  by njt4172

Nick,

Your one funny guy! Well, of guys I have never met you take the taco bro!

Anyway, I will be out in full force this week with my NJT permit in hand so I can zap those NJT police officers if they question me!

Steve

#26486  by Nasadowsk

They'll simply get refitted with whatever new software that EMD needed to come up with to get the 710 to pass EPA. Really, Tier II emissions are a joke Vs highway diesels, and stationary diesels.

I'll quote the tougher line haul cycle for locos:
(grams per brake HP-hour)

NOX........ 5.5
NMHC..... 0.30
PM......... 0.20

(NMHC+NOX - 5.8)

On the other hand, for heavy duty highway diesels:

NOX + NMHC... 2.4

Particulates are twice as tough, though - .10 But for buses, they suggest 1/2 that.

For stationary engines, the NMHC+NOX for a locomotive sized engine is 3.8, particulates are .12

Thus:

Loco Highway Stationary
NMHC+NOX 5.8 2.4 3.8
PM .2 .1 .12

i.e., rail diesels can pollute 2X as much as highway diesels, and STILL be legal. And, that's under the supposedly 'tough' Tier II standards.

#26549  by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Nick,

Your one funny guy! Well, of guys I have never met you take the taco bro!

Anyway, I will be out in full force this week with my NJT permit in hand so I can zap those NJT police officers if they question me!

Steve
Thanks. I would be out except my body doesn't want to get up early this week for the 20 minute walk to BH station and the early MidTowns and Hobokens. It's so aggravating when you want to get up early and you can't. But then I must get up for work (as I am up now- more or less.) Well, I'll find some time this week somehow. Where are you aloud to photograph with that permit?

And enjoy showing off your permit to the police. I know I would. :)

#26568  by DutchRailnut

njt4172 & Nick11a would it be posible to keep your off topic trivia in the private message area ???

#26620  by arrow

Sheesh, who cares what they talk about. it's all about fun.

#26627  by ABCD

I think we will make it.

There are 4 shells there now that are work in progress and progressing steadily. 1 shell should be in test this week if they don't already have it.

#26633  by AKelley728

So what happens if some don't make it? Will only those engines be subjected to the new EPA rules or does it apply to the whole lot? And if it's a simple as Nasadowsk says and it's a simple software change, I assume Alstom will be paying for it, yes? And how will this "software change" affect the performance of the engine?

#26639  by Mark Schweber

njt4172 & Nick11a would it be posible to keep your off topic trivia in the private message area ???
I had noticed that it looked as if Amtrak was catching up with NJT Rail in the number of posts so anything that keeps this topic in first place is OK with me!

#26650  by njt4172

DutchRailnut wants to play moderator! Hey Dutrailnut...Mind your own business bro! If you have a problem please take it to the REAL Moderator!

Other then that, I am sorry for the off topic garbage! :D

Nick,

What is your personal email address???

Thanks,
Steve

#26652  by nick11a

I have no quarrel with you dutch. Most threads have the occasional nauseating dribble drabble of personal "trivia." It's what makes it so much fun.

And Steve, personal e-mail address is [email protected] (home address.)

Good to hear from you ABCD. Well, I hope the order is completed in time. I imagine though things at Alstom are a bit hairy now trying to get everything completed before Jan.