• Will Routes 23 & 56 be restored to light rail.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Mdlbigcat

braves wrote:Is it true that it is the end for Routes 23 & 56 to be restored as light rail.
I don't know about the 23, but the 56 is toast. The tracks have been paved over on Torresdale Ave in several spots.

by jfrey40535

There is a thread here somewhere about the 56. The 23 is done too, tracks have already been paved over. Both have about as much chance of coming back as the Newtown line does. And with the sale of the last of the original PCC's that leaves no rolling stock even for fan trips. When the 15 starts up those cars will be dedicated to the 15 only. SEPTA sucks.

by mb41

It is a shame in this day of age with hig gas prices, over crowded roads and pollution that septa/mbta are so stupid, plus the business owners are stupid too, most of them.

by Umblehoon

jfrey40535 wrote:There is a thread here somewhere about the 56. The 23 is done too, tracks have already been paved over. Both have about as much chance of coming back as the Newtown line does. And with the sale of the last of the original PCC's that leaves no rolling stock even for fan trips. When the 15 starts up those cars will be dedicated to the 15 only. SEPTA sucks.
Where is the 23 paved over? I recall reading that they were going to do some work on Germantown Avenue (road work), that would also involve replacing the rail to the same standards as Girard (I can dig up the article if you like, but I think it was posted somewhere on this forum).

by flyermike

In last week's issue of the local Chestnut Hill paper someone wrote a nice article about how the #23 could come back as a combination of the R8, the #23 and the restoration through Fairmount Park. I got the impression there was a lot of interest in the area for the trolley to come back as a good way into the city. The article pointed out how SEPTA has lost lots and lots of riders since 1980.

by the sarge

Between SEPTA’s ineptness, status quo attitude, and unwillingness to spend money efficiently, I doubt the 23 will run again, just look at the Rt 15. Also, the 23 had more operational problems that SEPTA did not want to deal with. Anybody who ever rode the 23 may remember the times of waiting over an hour for a trolley, then have four show up back to back – mostly caused by a double parker. Plus, to initiate any new service, SEPTA has to get the equipment that is ADA compliant. Since the PCC’s are gone, SEPTA literally has to start from scratch. And we all know SEPTA’s track record for new capital projects…….

The only plan that I can think of for restoring trolley service on all lines, just about overnight, is to create a private corporation to operate the service. Just get Mayor [One Way}Street’s brother as the director. This should ensure start up and a few years of operations before the embezzlement hearings….

the sarge

by PARailWiz

Anybody who ever rode the 23 may remember the times of waiting over an hour for a trolley, then have four show up back to back – mostly caused by a double parker.
Well, that's easy enough. Just attach a plow to the front of each trolley and shove double parked vehicles out of the way. Once word gets around, no one will challenge a trolley again... :-D

by Clearfield

Until the city decides that light rail is a priority and expresses that to SEPTA, it will remain a bus line.

by JeffK

PARailWiz wrote:Well, that's easy enough. Just attach a plow to the front of each trolley and shove double parked vehicles out of the way. Once word gets around, no one will challenge a trolley again... :-D
Back in my grad school days at Temple (late 1970s), the 23 was blocked by a double-parker. SEPTA sent a massive tow truck with a ram bar on its front and pushed the car off the tracks. It was definitely satisfying to see the clown's car get folded up in a few places!

Of course, if you did that today there'd be half a dozen lawyers on the scene plus a bunch of "civic" organizations leading protests.

by AlexC

JeffK wrote:Back in my grad school days at Temple (late 1970s), the 23 was blocked by a double-parker. SEPTA sent a massive tow truck with a ram bar on its front and pushed the car off the tracks. It was definitely satisfying to see the clown's car get folded up in a few places!

Of course, if you did that today there'd be half a dozen lawyers on the scene plus a bunch of "civic" organizations leading protests.
How is this done now on the subway/surface lines?

by Silverliner II

It's not. The subway-surface cars stark backing up until the clown who owns the double-parked vehicle is found, or returns.

I think it is safe to say that 23 and 56 are gone for good, as rail.

by jfrey40535

The Western end of Route 56 has now been paved. Kiss this one goodbye.

I'd still like to know why its in the capital budget though. I've already written key legislators about SEPTA's practice of padding the budget with projects that they have no intention of pursuing (in our lifetime).