Railroad Forums 

• Wick Moorman out...Richard Anderson in...

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1436053  by Gilbert B Norman

Wow, talk about an "in by 9, out by 5" presidency.

Now it looks like they're going to have an airline man as CEO. Oh well, for what it be worth, United now has Oscar, and I learned on Friday from one of the troops, "they like him".

But I doubt if Wickcliffe expected to be the public scapegoat for a crisis the magnitude of Penn Station - obviously the seeds for such were sown long before he was at the throttle.
 #1436062  by Tadman

I don't know that he is public scapegoat. Per your commentary, the seeds were sown around 1964 or 68. Further, he was very clear that he wasn't sticking around long. No surprise here, perhaps sadness. I had hoped for some great things, instead he cleaned up messes including NYP and several errant car orders.
 #1436065  by Gilbert B Norman

True Mr. Dunville, WE know that around here, but the fact remains that he had to stand up in front of the media and try to mitigate the crisis. To the DL&W commuter, so long as his train arrives where it's supposed to "more or less" on time, and otherwise could care less about the operation of any railroad, he now has to arrive at a different station, make an additional transfer resulting in an hour longer commute, and that guy he saw on the tube is at fault.
 #1436080  by OrangeGrove

wintower wrote:As of July 12, 2017 Richard Anderson will replace Wick Moorman.
From all the reports I've seen, Wick Moorman will stay on through the end of the year, along with Anderson as co-CEO, before transitioning to an advisory capacity.
 #1436097  by Suburban Station

Has wick been made into a scapegoat? He seems to respond forcefully and intelligently to the rantings of the governors in the ny metro. It's important to remember this was always his plan, for better or worse, and he remains committed to see his Penn station plan through
 #1436102  by BandA

The CEO/President is answerable to the Board of Directors, correct? Do they have his back? I suppose the head of the USDOT or the FRA or the President or "congress/senatecritters" could make things "hot", but the onus is on the engineering & maintenance folks who are on the front lines making decisions. If I was a government official I'd be mad about the frog failing just after it was fixed, not the tie failure derailment nor the emergency repair schedule. [OT] when Richard Anderson is mentioned I always think of the Six Million Dollar Mans' boss.
 #1436126  by CVRA7

Two of Amtrak's early leaders were former employees of Pan Am - Roger Lewis, Amtrak's first president, had worked for Pan Am before going to General Dynamics. Harold Graham, vp of marketing, also had been with Pan Am. Airline veterans are nothing new on Amtrak.
 #1436134  by Arlington

JamesRR wrote:Sounds like Wick will stay on until end of year and then be an advisor. As mentioned, his was not meant to be a permanent position there.
Is there a source from the time of Wick's appointment that he was meant to be a short-timer/transitional? I don't recall any such chatter at the time. This "he was not meant to be permanent" seems to rewrite the past (still, I'm open to the idea that I missed the transitional bit)
 #1436141  by Arlington

CVRA7 wrote:I believe Wick himself was the source as he agreed to come on as a transition leader, not a permanent one.
But when did he say this? Was his "transitional" status publicly known before today? It'd be reassuring to see a article from the time of his appointment, for example.