• Why Is The RiverLine Diesel Powered

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 25Hz

I don't believe electrification was ever really considered. The line is very long compared to HBLR or NCS, the track(s) also run down the middle of streets in a number of locations. If you rode it you'd see what i'm talking about.
  by chuchubob

25Hz wrote:I don't believe electrification was ever really considered. The line is very long compared to HBLR or NCS, the track(s) also run down the middle of streets in a number of locations. If you rode it you'd see what i'm talking about.
I know what you're saying, but I don't know what your point is.
Electrification was not considered because of the initial capital expense.
Catenary over city streets is done.

some additional examples of catenary over city streets:
Sacramento
San Francisco
Media
San Diego
Pittsburgh
Portland
Seattle
Tacoma
Toronto
  by R36 Combine Coach

Even HBLR runs on a residential section of Essex Street in Jersey City with overhead wire.
  by Launcher

chuchubob wrote:
25Hz wrote:I don't believe electrification was ever really considered. The line is very long compared to HBLR or NCS, the track(s) also run down the middle of streets in a number of locations. If you rode it you'd see what i'm talking about.
I know what you're saying, but I don't know what your point is.
Electrification was not considered because of the initial capital expense.
Catenary over city streets is done.

some additional examples of catenary over city streets:
Sacramento
San Francisco
Media
San Diego
Pittsburgh
Portland
Seattle
Tacoma
Toronto

How many of these examples are 34 miles in length or greater?

Philadelphia's trolley lines are each about 1/10 as long as the River Line which means they are easier to implement catenary and maintain.
  by Hawaiitiki

Launcher wrote: How many of these examples are 34 miles in length or greater?

Philadelphia's trolley lines are each about 1/10 as long as the River Line which means they are easier to implement catenary and maintain.
Not all of the river line is street running for gods sake. I'd say about <10% of the line runs along the street. Yes, there are grade crossings but there were plenty of grade crossings on the 100+ miles on the electrified Virginian, N&W, Milwaukee Road, and Great Northern networks.

I honestly dont think costs due to extensive catenary maintenance has anything to do with this line not being electrified. It's because of the (A) Start Up Costs of getting wire there in the first place and (B) Do you know how long the pantograph would have to be expanded to reach Catenary at a sufficient height for Conrail trains to pass.

Yes, Double Stack trains do share electrified trackage in West Trenton, but Septa Silverliners are far taller than the LRVs that would be using this wire.