• Why is being a railfan considered weird?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by 3rdrail

Finch wrote:
3rdrail wrote:SShhhh!!! Don't let on. I've been wearing my hat with the simulated pantograph on top for years to charm the chicks ! If I really want to impress, I have a couple of buddies come along on dates. They hold onto both ends of a wire and I run back and forth under it. Never fails !
HAHAHA!! :-D That has to be one of the better posts I've ever seen on this forum. Where can I get one of those hats? :wink:
Oh......NOOOOOO!!!!! I might lose my edge. I have had a lot of guys ask the same question - I will not sell my look ! I might consider the manufacture of third rail shoes to stick out of an elbow pad. With this, you run up and down a staircase with your arm extended, rubbing the shoe on the "third rail" (stairway handrail). If you're really good, you elicit a spark caused by the friction. Don't even mention the pantograph hat again ! It's mine !
  by Finch

Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to think of my own "signature" move. Normally bringing someone down to the tracks is unique enough, but if we ever happen to be in the same place then I will be totally outclassed! :-)
  by 3rdrail

We could have a duel, like those old-time exhibition steam locomotive head-on crashes. We could both start out on opposite sides of a park, equipped with tall Abraham Lincoln type hats that smoked from the funnel. We'd run at each other at top speed, colliding in a hurricane of smoke and debris. Whoever was able to be placed upright, back on "track", would win the coveted Pantograph Hat. (There would have to be a stipulation that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES would the Pantograph Hat be used in such a demonstration.)
  by BR&P

Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to think of my own "signature" move.
You COULD go find an old air hose and....well,... never mind!
  by 3rdrail

Finch wrote:Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to think of my own "signature" move. :-)
Perhaps we could rig up a scuba air tank and a valve to simulate the sound of air brakes releasing ? You're at a curb waiting to cross a street- the "walk" sign turns green- you hit the "brake handle" and "SHHHHHHH". You are walking and decide to stop to enter a restaurant - "SHHHHHHHH". A big visor/destination sign on your forehead would add to the effect. (You would just have to be careful that someone didn't mistake you for a PCC and try to ride you to Park Street.)
  by Finch

You would just have to be careful that someone didn't mistake you for a PCC and try to ride you to Park Street
That depends on who exactly tries to ride me, of course. :P I'll have to start brainstorming for next halloween!
  by mrconductor55

Hey Guys,

Well I am definetly what you guys would call a foamer. I call myself a foamer. I'm 16. I've been into trains since I was 2. Starting with Shining time Station (Thomas the tank Engine). When I was 5 my parents brought me to The Boone and Scenic Valley RR to see thomas...I could have cared less by thomas (who was really just a railcar being pushed by an NW2) I fell in love eith that gigantic black and red steam locomotive. Its all history from there. My only othe hobby that even compares, and sometimes surpasses foaming is cycling.(I own 6 bicycles) I'm very easy to spot trackside, I 'm usually sporting a beat up pair of converses, a big green Chrome Messenger Bag, fitting jeans with the right pantleg rolled up, and a fixed gear bicycle at my side. My current myspace and facebook profile pic is of my girlfriend and I, but before it was a portrait of me with an EMD Switcher in the background, tastefully out of focus. Most think its odd. Especially after they found out about the time that I cut school to see the MIlW Road 261 off. I'm not all antisocial, I have a healthy social life. I just love trains. Trins and bikes are what i spend all of my money on. I think of a day off of school, or travelling as an opportunity to see trains that I haven't seen before. My friends love it when there is a train scene in a movie, and I am sitting there trying to make out the reporting marks on the locomotive. Or figure out what model it is. When I tell adults about or my cycling hobby, they think its great. Mainly they're just glad that I'm not doing drugs, or in a gang. I get asked why all of the time. Why do you have pictures of trains in your locker. My 2 favorite hobbies are both misunderstood, but I love them. Most crews are pretty nice.The other day, I caught an NS local with a High Hood Geep38 on point waiting for signal clearance. I walked up to the locomotive and called to the conductor, asking if it was alright for me to get some shots. He said it was fine, and then started talking to the engineer. THe engineer, an older guy in his 60's climbed down excitedly to talk. Remarking about how young I was compared to most railfans he knew. Then he went on to explain that the engine was remote controlled.

Railfanning isn't something that I hide. I remember last year on a field trip, we were on the interstate in a schoolbus, passing a CN yard. Everyone pointed it out. It was funny.....
  by 3rdrail

In the spirit of helping you guys out in the Attracting the Ladies Department - here's a shot of me with my new "Panto-Man" patented Pantograph Cap. Often copied but never duplicated.

by Finch

mrconductor - You sound like a more extreme version of me. I've loved trains all my life, but I perhaps not quite to the same degree as you. I've only "really" been into the hobby for a few years. I'm not around trains often enough to talk to the crew, and I'm usually too shy to do so anyways. My friends do love to make a big deal out of train scenes in movies, though. :-) I also love cycling/mountain biking. But I only have 3 bikes, and no fixies. :-D

3rdrail - That hat would be hard to beat!
  by fauxcelt

I can't seem to remember meeting anyone who thought my interest in trains was abnormal and/or weird.
What people have thought was weird and unusual was my interest in science fiction which I inherited from my father. I have been asked many times if I was a Trekkie but I was fortunate enough and had sense enough to never go that far or to be that obsessed about Star Trek. I do like to watch Star Trek in all of its various incarnations but I am not as far gone as your typical Trekkie. Yes I have been unfortunate enough to meet some Trekkies and I hope no one reading this has been unfortunate enough to meet any Trekkies.
After reading some of the comments in this discussion thread and in the thread about "Foamers", I have gotten the impression that some "Foamers" are just as sick as Trekkies in their own peculiar way and probably need professional help.
  by RearOfSignal

3rdrail wrote:SShhhh!!! Don't let on. I've been wearing my hat with the simulated pantograph on top for years to charm the chicks ! If I really want to impress, I have a couple of buddies come along on dates. They hold onto both ends of a wire and I run back and forth under it. Never fails !
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY BEING A RAILFAN IS CONSIDERED WEIRD. CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P
  by 3rdrail

Frankly, I think that it's perfectly normal. (You should see my latest accessory - the spark emitting simulated "3rdrail shoes" worn on each ankle to go with the "Panto-Cap" ! They're also great for July 4th festivities !)