• WHO LOVES THE WAY CSX STOCK IS MOVING---UP!!!

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by CSX-COAL HAULER

ANY good stories about how your 401k is increaseing at a astouninshing rate--------------mine had increased 47% these last 6-7 months.

When will it split?

csx coal hauler

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

please keep the topics railroad related and not to how your stocks are doing thank you
  by CSX-COAL HAULER

Sorry, I did not know that talking about CSX stock was not a railroad related topic-even though every payday it shows up on my CSX check stub. Sorry dude---I get the picture no it ----is not Railroad related---and it does not belong in the CSX section!!!

CSX COAL HAULER :-) :( :P
  by JoeCollege

I respectfully disagree with the moderator here. Not looking for a fight, but would like to make a point. CSX stock price is tied directly to the performance of the railroad and is thus railroad related. What is CSX doing well enough on the rails that Wall Street has noticed?

IMO, Issues affecting CSX performance will be capacity related as there will be little "growth" in terms of physical plant. If the railroad sheds over-capacity of marginal profitability (i.e. Montreal Secondary) while retaining interchange and is able to improved efficiencies in trunk line traffic (indreased volume and train speed, decreased dwell time), profits could improve.

As this relates to railroads for those (including me most of the time) who can't see beyond track and shiny loud moving things, the result of the second paragraph would be more trains! This would be good for us fans as there would be, well, more trains! And there could be more hiring which is good as well.

This part is NOT railroad related per se- make sure your 401K is substantially diversified so that when CSX stock inevitably goes down, you don't go broke!

by Cowford

Maybe the moderator missed the original header as Coal Hauler didn't mention CSX in his post. It's as railroad/CSX-related as paint schemes (and much more relevent).

And Coal Hauler - I agree! Too bad the employee stock purchase plan was eliminated in 2003...

NS has done very nicely as well. The market price is reflecting a) the traffic boom 2004-present, b) high fuel prices, and c) the final recovery of the post-merger hangovers. The interesting part is that CSX's system operating metrics, e.g., velocity, yard dwell, etc. are STILL not near where they need to be.... but at least they're going in the right direction.

by Gilbert B Norman

The moderator has made a good call here and I would have same myself. This discussion could easily evolve into that of the future outlook for CSX Common Stock, and in the absence of those participating in that discussion holding licensure as investment advisors, could run afoul of existing SEC law regulating investment advice.

by Jay Potter

Gilbert, could you please be a bit more specific? The impression that I received from your post is that unless I'm a registered investment advisor, there is some SEC-imposed limitation on the extent to which I can publicly express my own personal non-insider opinion about whether the price of a particular publicly traded stock will increase or decrease in the future. If that is what you were saying--and it might not have been--I would be interested in what "existing SEC law" imposes that limitation. Thank you.

by Gilbert B Norman

My understanding, Mr. Potter, is that only licensed individuals may give advice regarding possible future performance of any registered, be such publicly traded or not, security.

All I know is that as a CPA who held licensure to practice until I retired during 2003, I would of course have to "field' questions from my clients regarding "how do you think the market will do" or even "what do you think of XXX'. Be assured I advised them to consult with a Registered Representative at a securities firm for such advice.

The best advice I can give to anyone not holding proper licensure to give such advice is to defer from so doing at a public forum.

Fortunately, over at my Amtrak forum at this site, I am not confronted with any such issues.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

Nobody is asking for investment advise there GILBERT----this is just talk between actual railroads who might work for CSX ------I am asking if they are enjoying the wild finicial ride we are having right now.

CSX COAL HAULER

by Jay Potter

Gilbert, if I were a CPA and a client asked me securities-related questions, I would respond exactly as you responded to your clients. I would do that in order to prevent the clients from considering investment-related comments from me as accounting advice and relying on "advice" that I never meant to give. So to that extent, you and I are in complete agreement. But I'm still interested in knowing what "existing SEC law" prohibits someone from expressing publicly--in other words to whomever might be listening, as opposed to some advice-seeking individual--the belief that the price of a publicly traded company will increase or decrease over time. Let's look at this issue in a different way. When you indicated that discussing the "future outlook" for CSX stock could violate "existing SEC law", were you giving legal advice or were you simply expressing a personal opinion? You were simply expressing a personal opinion. Likewise, if I were to say that I think CSXT stock will continue to increase in value, would I be giving investment advice, or would I simply be expressing a personal opinion? I would simply be expressing a personal opinion.
  by JoeCollege

Gilbert B Norman wrote:The moderator has made a good call here and I would have same myself. This discussion could easily evolve into that of the future outlook for CSX Common Stock, and in the absence of those participating in that discussion holding licensure as investment advisors, could run afoul of existing SEC law regulating investment advice.

I would respectfully disagree here, even with the awareness of your past career as an accountant, as brought to light.

No one here is dispensing stock advice. I preferenced my comments with IMO, standing for "In My Opinion". I am not a financial services or securities professional. It was my opinion as an observer. Go to any office place, tavern, church social, or coffee shop and at some point the coversation will turn to a discussion of stocks and markets. No violation of SEC law there nore is there here. Anyone taking stock advice from those of us on this board gets what they deserve! :wink:

The discussion is as germane to a generic railfan board as paint schemes, rumours of activities, reports of axle counts, or Monday morning quarterbacking about past abandonments. I understand your concern but think it is over-reaching, and a bit silly. (And I don't mean that in a harsh manner, rather that it's not a concern worth being too concerned about).

Joe

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

all i was trying to say at first was to Mr. CSX Coal hauler was to keep the topic RR related, the topic can continue about CSX stocks and how they are doing, but talking about the 401 K plan and letting every1 know how your 401K plan is doing is not helping any other railroader or railfan here, so just keep this topic to CSX related stocks and keep your financial information to yourself

thank you
Last edited by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 on Tue May 09, 2006 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Cowford

Fair enough, MBTA. CSX dropped a point today, anyway! I guess I won't be able to retire now, after all:(

Gilbert, your opinion regarding the dispensing of advice is odd and Jay's reference sounds solid. If not, the SEC would have shut down Yahoo (et al) message investment message boards years ago. Wonder what they say about CSX???

by Gilbert B Norman

Cowford wrote:Gilbert, your opinion regarding the dispensing of advice is odd and Jay's reference sounds solid. If not, the SEC would have shut down Yahoo (et al) message investment message boards years ago. Wonder what they say about CSX???
My response, Mr. Cowford, was prompted because individuals thought it was their place to contradict a Moderator's instruction to cease discussion of CSX future stock performance. "Will it split?' is part of such.

As I noted earlier, as a CPA who did not hold any SEC licensure, I was not about to give anyone advice regarding the outlook for any security. While it really does not come as a surprise to me to learn that there are chat sites regarding stocks' future performance, I still believe it unwise for unlicensed persons to give advice on such - especially persons like myself who post at public forums using their given legal names.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i agree with Mr. Norman on this, because someone reading through railroad.net forums may come across this CSX stock topic and read a couple of sentences and read them carefully and decide to put all their money into CSX stocks