Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1539043  by NH2060

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:30 am I look forward to seeing the improved White Plains Station. By the way, I know that there have been proposals to extend the third track north of Crestwood to North White Plains which I think is a great idea, given the "subway style" scheduling of trains during the rush hour. If that were to happen, where would be the best spot to put the third track at White Plains Station?
Well there wouldn't be room for the 3rd track where the station is but I don't think it would matter since almost every train stops at White Plains and the end of the GCT-NWP section of the Harlem Line is only one stop north so trains could just file through one at a time. The 3rd track would merge with the other 2 tracks south and north of the station.
 #1539069  by Backshophoss

The viaduct in White Plains is only 2 tracks wide,NO ROOM for a 3rd mainline,there was a siding for express/mail service,
now long gone.
By now the redevelopment of the City is done,The city would fight MN on condemning land for a 3rd track.
that was started the same time as the "new" White Plains station was built,destroying a well built NYC station.