• Which cities ran PCCs?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by choochoochuck272

Is there or is anyone willing to give me a complete list of cities that ran PCCs? Maybe it can be a group effort?

by Otto Vondrak

Last edited by Otto Vondrak on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by mtuandrew

The original North American operators, listed at http://world.nycsubway.org/us/pcc/pcc-car.html, include:

Baltimore
Birmingham
Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Dallas
Detroit
Johnstown
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Louisville
Mexico City
Minneapolis - St. Paul
Montreal
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
San Diego
San Francisco
Toronto
Vancouver
Washington, DC

Some cities had multiple transit companies that operated the PCCs, like Pacific Electric and Los Angeles Railways in that city.

by Otto Vondrak

We can also add Buffalo, NY to that list. Though not in regular service, they did buy Cleveland RTA's fleet of PCC's for possible use on a future extension. One car was outfitted with a pan and ran as a test train. There were clearance problems in the tunnel, so they were all sidelined until they were sold to a trolley museum in Brooklyn in 1999.

by pennsy

Hi All,

You can ride a real live PCC today at the Orange Empire RR Museum in Perris, California. My favorite is # 3165. Did you know that there are controls under the back seat that will allow you to see where you are going when you back up the PCC ???

by byte

What about the old Tandy subway? The cars had been externally modified to not resemble other PCC cars, but the electro-mechanical systems were still the same.

by BaltOhio

Louisville's PCCs never ran in revenue service; they were sold to Cleveland shortly after delivery. And speaking of Cleveland, add the City of Shaker Heights,which was a separate operation from the Cleveland city system. Also add El Paso, which got ex-San Diego cars. And I suppose Mexico City isn't considered "North America," but it's not Central America either.

The greatest number of PCCs, though, operated in Eastern Europe. The Czech carbuilder Tatra produced well over 10,000 PCCs,many of which are still operating. Some Western European carbuilders used the PCC patents, too, particularly in Belgium and the Netherlands.

Several books have listed all the North American PCC operators, including one by Seymour Kashin and Harre Demoro, and by Fred Schneider.

by walt

Some cities ( or suburban areas) operated cars which employed a modified PCC body, though some of the cars ( particularly the 1949 St Louis PCC type interurbans operated by the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company---or Red Arrow Lines) were non PCC in their operating components. Additionally, Atlantic City operated the largest fleet of Brilliners ( Brill's attempt to build a car which would compete with the PCC), though Baltimore and Cincinnati had one Brilliner each, and Philadelphia's PTC had three. The Red Arrow had 10 double ended high speed versions of the Brilliner which actually outlasted all of the others by more than 20 years-- except for No 10 which was wrecked in 1963-- ( and they outlasted most PCC cars as well) being retired in 1971 by SEPTA.

by choochoochuck272

Baltimore
Birmingham
Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Dallas
Detroit
El Paso
Johnstown
Kansas City
Kenosha
Los Angeles
Louisville
Minneapolis - St. Paul
Newark
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Saint Louis
San Diego

Can you guys think fo any others?

by walt

You neglected DC---- the only fleet of PCC Cars to operate using the undeground conduit current collection system.

by pennsy

Hi Chooch,

Just a reminder, Brooklyn is a borough of the city of New York. New York City has FIVE boroughs. And each borough had its own PCC's, trolleys, streetcars, etc. In point of fact, many lines crossed borough lines, and so served more than one borough. Somewhat complex, but it got you where you wanted to go, and at one time, for a NICKEL.

by choochoochuck272

Haha, I know about the boroughs. But did Manhattan have streetcars long enough to run the PCCs?

by Otto Vondrak

Brooklyn is a city. I can send mail to Brooklyn, NY. It is a boro of New York City. No PCC's in The Bronx, Manhattan, or Staten Island that I know about. Did PCC's go to Queens?

-otto-

by Fred Rabin

Otto Vondrak wrote:Brooklyn is a city. I can send mail to Brooklyn, NY. It is a boro of New York City. No PCC's in The Bronx, Manhattan, or Staten Island that I know about. Did PCC's go to Queens?

-otto-
Pardon the nit-pick, but it WAS a city (until 1898) and is now a boroUGH. :-)

by choochoochuck272

Baltimore
Birmingham
Boston
Chicago
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Dallas
Detroit
El Paso
Fort Worth
Johnstown