• Where are the 500/1500 series cars?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by bierhere

I've been on 3 trains in the last week that lacked bathrooms. Are they just broken or is the T starting a rebuild program?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i take it by the 1500 you are talking about the south side, maybe this is the beginning of another car shortage

by sery2831

Must be south side, we have no trains without a 500/1500 on the north side. We do have one train running with a 15XX as a control car and no german car behind the loco.

by Robert Paniagua

Also, if there are no 500/1500s on your MBCR train, look for a 900 Kawasaki car. Those DO have toilets for your convenience.

by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:Also, if there are no 500/1500s on your MBCR train, look for a 900 Kawasaki car. Those DO have toilets for your convenience.
True, but there aren't any solid bi-level consists in service right now.

by Diverging Route

Yesterday I saw a set with #900 against the engine (a new bi-level Kawasaki with bathroom); and a 1500-series car in the control cab position. So that set had two bathroom cars.

There should be no car shortage now, even with cars our for repair. There are 12 new Kawasaki bi-levels in service, with four more in testing.

by sery2831

All the 900 series run with a 1500 because the old colony only has 1500 for control cars!

by Diverging Route

sery2831 wrote:All the 900 series run with a 1500 because the old colony only has 1500 for control cars!
I thought that set would be on the OC as well. But it was on Track 10, and headed for Worcester! OY!

by sery2831

Must have been in the morning, there is an OC set that does a worc mon-friday.
  by Diverging Route

sery2831 wrote:Must have been in the morning, there is an OC set that does a worc mon-friday.
This morning I came into South Station on #800 (yawn!) arriving at 6:40am, arriving on Track 1. Next to us on Track 2 was the OC set loading for Worcester - #P503 (6:50am departure). The set was:
N-15xx-2xx-761-908-904-11xx. So this set had three lavs!

by sery2831

On the north side we have a train now with a 500 car in the middle of the set! It's going to be a 7 car string by the weekend, right now it's a 6 car. No dont get excited, the 7 car is not for our rush hour riders :-( It's for the up coming polar express charters on the weekends.

by Diverging Route

sery2831 wrote:On the north side we have a train now with a 500 car in the middle of the set! It's going to be a 7 car string by the weekend, right now it's a 6 car. No dont get excited, the 7 car is not for our rush hour riders :-( It's for the up coming polar express charters on the weekends.
Aaaargh. You'd think with 12 new bilevels in service on the south side, MBCR could shuffle a few Bombs to the north side. #308 and #333 could sure use a 7-car set!

by Red Wing

The 308 just has to stop stopping in Wilmington.

I'll agree though standing room only seems to be the norm.

by CSX Conductor

sery2831 wrote:All the 900 series run with a 1500 because the old colony only has 1500 for control cars!
Not 100% accurate Sery. There are 1700's in the lead on the OC as well. (Sorry for the late response, but I was having problems getting onto RR.net)
sery2831 wrote:No dont get excited, the 7 car is not for our rush hour riders :-( It's for the up coming polar express charters on the weekends.
Where is the North Side Polar Express going to? Any idea about the South Side one? All I saw on the brochure from MVRS was boarding at Readville on the NEC platform.

by sery2831

Yes you will see 1700s on the old colony, but it's NOT an old colony set with electric doors. It's just a normal set making an old colony run.