• Where are Amtrak crews based?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Stephen B. Carey

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:It depends on the train. For example, train 195 on weekends has always had a Boston Crew to NHV and a NHV train Crew NHV-NYP, but Boston engineer works BOS-NYP. Other trains, such as 171 and 86 have always been a Boston train Crew and engineer together the entire trip between BOS&NYP.
Wow really interesting, any reason why Train and Engine crews don't always change together? Also I assume the Acela's don't change crews at NHV in order to save time and the limited stops Acela makes shortens the trip anyway.
  by Arborwayfan

As for getting crews from the host RRs being easier, Amtrak did that for the first, what, 15 years? Apparently it wasn't easier, for whatever reason. Anyone know why they changed?
  by AgentSkelly

For the NW, I know there is a Seattle base but I'm getting mixed answers on if Portland is too...
  by STrRedWolf

From what I could tell, the Pennsylvanian has three crews: PGH to HRB, HRB to PHL, PHL to NYC. It's a full conductor staff swap at HRB, and I think the dinette staff is swapped out at PHL.

PGH to PHL though, I think it's one or two engineers on the diesel and another engineer on the electric engine that they swap with in PHL.
  by srock1028

8th Notch wrote:The train crew on 195 works BOS-NYP along with the engineer.
2153 (BOS-NY)-86(NY-BOS) and 195 (BOS-NY)-162(NY-BOS).
95 (BOS-NYP)-2160 (NYP-BOS).
190 (NYP-BOS)-2173 (BOS-NYP).
Just a few off the top my head...there's more
  by ExCon90

Stephen B. Carey wrote:
Wow really interesting, any reason why Train and Engine crews don't always change together?
I think it goes back to when the standard work day was 100 miles for engine crews and 150 for train crews; I know that pre-Amtrak railroads providing passenger service had different change points for train and engine crews. A lot of changes have been made since then, so I don't know whether that basis still exists today.
  by amtrakhogger

One reason why crews aren't always working together is job scheduling because there aren't enough trains scheduled to evenly have all 5 day job cycles (On Corridor) typically. There are some trains that only run one or two days a week and either the job is an extra fill off the list or they just use another man from another crew base to work the job.
  by Backshophoss

That item is PAYWALLED at the trains website.
  by AgentSkelly

David Benton wrote:http://trn.trains.com/railroads/railroa ... -districts.
May be subscriber only.
It shows Portland as a base, to Seattle , To Eugene/Kamalth falls, and to Spokane.
That makes sense...The reason I ask is that a few of the old timer Seattle guys refered to Portland as a "satellite crew base"