Railroad Forums 

• When the Arrow IIs were in Bay Head Yard

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#25137  by nick11a

Looking at OCTrainguy's site, I noticed he has a shot of Arrow IIs in the Bay Head yard. Why were they sent all the way down to Bay Head? How many were sent down? As we know, most of them now have gone to that giant rail junkyard in the sky.

http://octrainguy.com/NJTransit-gallery5.html

#25257  by Tri-State Tom

nick -

They were sent to multiple locations....anywhere that storage could be had....the MMC, Boonton and I believe Waldwick yard as well.

Several were torched for scrap at Port Morris yard.

#25267  by BlockLine_4111

TOM -

I assume you remember the 3 CNJ black tankers and 2 CNJ boxcars
along with the truckless Temple back there about when Reagan took office. RR RIP.

MIKE

#25272  by F23A4

Are there any AIIs in existence now??

#25275  by F23A4

Are there any AIIs in existence now??

#25278  by AKelley728

I believe one made it to SEPTA for use as a work train.

#25297  by Tri-State Tom

Mike -

Yup....even remember when they weren't marooned there in Bay Head minus the switch. Last time I snooped around back there the Texaco emblem was still visible on one of'em.

The when/where demise of the box cars ( one AIR was a Lehigh Valley ) is a small mystery.

As regards CNJ 'Temple', see the following link ( 3rd photo from top ) -

http://www.tri-state-rail-history.org/cmsl.htm

#25390  by nick11a

I also believe there is one married pair being held at the MMC somewhere.

#25566  by F23A4

nick11a wrote:I also believe there is one married pair being held at the MMC somewhere.
Really? I'd better look harder today. I did see one Pullman (?) coach though. :D

#25577  by transit383

F23A4 wrote:
nick11a wrote:I also believe there is one married pair being held at the MMC somewhere.
Really? I'd better look harder today. I did see one Pullman (?) coach though. :D
I believe that "Pullman" is the NJT-1, a former CNJ observation car (1178?) used by NJT on inspection trains until the mid 1990s when it was sidelined due to a cracked frame. Was the car you saw painted with NJT stripes? If so, then that was the NJT-1.

#25630  by nick11a

F23A4 wrote:
Don't take my word for it. I believe it was Arrow(3) who told me about it. And if it is there you may have an awfully hard time finding it riding by.

#25736  by F23A4

transit383 wrote:
F23A4 wrote:
I believe that "Pullman" is the NJT-1, a former CNJ observation car (1178?) used by NJT on inspection trains until the mid 1990s when it was sidelined due to a cracked frame. Was the car you saw painted with NJT stripes? If so, then that was the NJT-1.
No markings at all from what I could see.

#25738  by F23A4

nick11a wrote:
F23A4 wrote:
Don't take my word for it. I believe it was Arrow(3) who told me about it. And if it is there you may have an awfully hard time finding it riding by.
Why? Is it that well tucked away? (behind MMC) So NJT scrapped the whole fleet of AIIs, save for one married pair??

#25741  by nick11a

F23A4 wrote:
nick11a wrote:
F23A4 wrote:
Why? Is it that well tucked away? (behind MMC) So NJT scrapped the whole fleet of AIIs, save for one married pair??
Might be well tucked away. I haven't seen it myself. I'm not even sure myself if it is there. But yes, NJT scrapped the Arrow IIs a few years back. They were in storage for a while. There were rumours they would be coming back but then they were ordered for scrapping. They supposedly saved one pair for themselves and sold one to SEPTA.

Anyone here can confirm that there is indeed an Arrow II set at the MMC?
Last edited by nick11a on Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#25748  by Jtgshu

In the few times Ive been to the MMC, and not within the past few months, ive never seen a A2 pair up there, but maybe it was in the shop buildings being picked for parts, but I don't remember seeing it outside.