• When Is The Transit Festival In Hoboken?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by NJTKid01

Fellow Rail fans, I wanted to ask, Is NJ Transit still doing the Transit festival? If Yes, May you please tell me the date that it will be on? Thanks!

by Irish Chieftain

Not this year. Next festival rumored to be sometime in 2007. However, with the other rumor concerning Warrington's departure, things may accelerate, who knows...

by trainfreak

Why did they stop having the train festivals?

by Irish Chieftain

Can't speak for NJT, but it seems to me that it may have been a decree from the top. Remember "Back To Basics"? I would say that when that approach was applied, the festivals were seen as non-essential and extraneous...

by njt5140

trainfreak wrote:Why did they stop having the train festivals?
Promotions Dept laid off January 2001.

by njt4172

njt5140 wrote:
trainfreak wrote:Why did they stop having the train festivals?
Promotions Dept laid off January 2001.
I think you mean January 2002, not 2001....There was a fesitval in September of 2001

Steve

by transit383

There was a festival in September 2002 also.

by njt5140

I'm sorry, it was the beginning of 2003...small brain fart!
  by njt4172

Yes, I was wrong you are right......I just don't remember the 2002 festival because it was a flop compared to the 2001 festival. The 2001 festival sticks out because it was only 4 days prior to 9-11.

Steve

by transit383

I'll never forget that 2001 Festival, it took place on September 8, 2001. I took the free NY Waterway Ferry ride around the harbor and got many photos of the NYC Skyline, including the twin towers. The railroad equipment at the festival was interesting as well, not the usual things NJT had previously put at the festival, including the DLW E8s, the Acela trainset, and the excursion being powered by the LV F7s.

I feel that NJT tried to leech off the success of the Hoboken Arts and Music Festival for the 2002 Try Transit Festival (they took place on the same day), and thus it wasnt as good a show as the 2001 Festival.