• Whats Good Along Lake Erie?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SimTrains

I'm taking a drive down the I-90 this thursday from Buffalo to just over the PA boder. Is there anything particularly interesting to see along the way? Any good places to stop? I've never really taken this route before, but from maps it seems that I will be following the CSX line the entire way. Anyone have any thaughts?

by charlie6017

My best thoughts were maybe Dunkirk near the Ralston Plant......There is a grade crossing west of Dunkirk where the NS line is closer to the CSX line and it may be better (I don't know the names of the roads-- I live near Rochester). I guess there are good spots near Ripley and North East, PA as well although I have not been there myself.
  by lakeshoredave

good spots from east to west:
lake ave
bayview rd
rogers rd at the little league park
cloverbank rd
pleasant ave
lakeview rd
evans center rd
main st in angola(only csx here)
seneca gaming in irving(only can see csx here)
silver creek
center rd bridge(only csx here)
middle rd(only csx here)
temple rd until ripley has numerous good grade crossings where you can see both csx and ns. then around ripley the tracks split apart and come back together in north east. check out the rail musuem there. then the tracks are close together through erie, and then they split apart until somewhere near cleveland.

lakeshore out

by lcanthony

There is a railroad museum in North East PA, the 2nd exit inside PA. The CSX & NS run side by side in addition to some switching activity at the Welch's grape plant.
  by Matt Langworthy

There are some shortlines near there- such as A&E, BL&E and don't forget the GE plant in Erie!
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SST

I've been to the Lake Shore museum. It's excellent! You won't be disappointed. Not at all. You can sit there all day and no one will bother you. It's as good as sitting at Amtrak Depew. Actually better because you get both rail lines passing by.

And you're only inches away from the rails. Ya gotta do it.

by SST

By the way, my dad and I took a trip down to Erie to check out the GE plant. They have a small museum. Some artifacts and hundreds of photo's of the plant. No locomotives at the museum though.

Thanks to 9/11 they will no longer take people to tour the plant. My advise is don't make a special trip unless you're already going to be in the area.

If you do go to Erie, head down to the water front where there is a museum/library. The museum is a former steam powered electric plant. They have one steam generator inside that you can walk around. Other sailing ships inside. They have a video of how effective cannon balls are. I wouldn't want to be hit by one. There water front exceeds Buffalos.