• Whats a good video camera?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

by Trainman101

I dont know much about movie cameras. Whats a good camera for uploading to the internet? (under 500-400 bucks) And how about a basic film editing software for your computer? Any suggestings? This will be for family and of course trains.
  by Chessie GM50

I personally use a Sony HC28. Nowadays I'd probably get the HC62. I found the former for a large discount at B&H about 2 years ago when it went out of production.
  by charlie6017

I use a Canon ZR70MC Mini-DV camera. I've had mostly good luck with it....... :-)
  by NS59

I am looking to upgrade my Sony TVR19 to something Hi-def. looking at a Canon HV30, does anyone have any experience with this camera. Would also consider a 3 chip, but I can not find anything around the $1000 mark. Any advice would be great.

Also, will the Hi-def format work with Ulead VS10?

Thanks
  by Amtrak7

I have a Canon Vixia HF11 and I like it.
  by ATSF5811

I have a Canon HG20.

I had a DVD Canon camcorder and got rid of it only after 1 year of use. The DVD spinning could be heard in a lot of my videos and the quality of the colour was less then expected.

The HDD HG20 is mind-blowing!!!! It has all the features of the canon DVD camcorder, but the quality if you hook it up onto a plasma or LCD TV is unbelievably good!!

The only downside, there is a "Type C" HDMI port on the camcorder. You need to spend an extra $40 to get a Type C to Type A HDMI convertor. Bit of a pain...I expected this to be included in the Canon package.

Oh, its also got a remote control too. VERY useful for a railfan point of view. Especially if you have the SLR camera around your neck. The camcorder can be up to 18ft away and it will recognise the remote.
  by MR77100

Chessie GM50 wrote:I personally use a Sony HC28. Nowadays I'd probably get the HC62. I found the former for a large discount at B&H about 2 years ago when it went out of production.

I have the HC28, an am pleased with it, although it has not seen much use in the past 2 years. Do you have any recommendations for newer mini-dv camcorders?
  by MR77100

ATSF5811 wrote:I have a Canon HG20.

I had a DVD Canon camcorder and got rid of it only after 1 year of use. The DVD spinning could be heard in a lot of my videos and the quality of the colour was less then expected.

The HDD HG20 is mind-blowing!!!! It has all the features of the canon DVD camcorder, but the quality if you hook it up onto a plasma or LCD TV is unbelievably good!!

The only downside, there is a "Type C" HDMI port on the camcorder. You need to spend an extra $40 to get a Type C to Type A HDMI convertor. Bit of a pain...I expected this to be included in the Canon package.

Oh, its also got a remote control too. VERY useful for a railfan point of view. Especially if you have the SLR camera around your neck. The camcorder can be up to 18ft away and it will recognise the remote.
Are there any mini-dv camcorders that have remotes?
  by LNJ614

A nice HD video camcorder is the canon hv40 and the panasonic HDC-TM700
  by MEC407

MR77100 wrote:Can anyone recommend a HD Sony video camera?
What's your budget? Sony makes HD video cameras ranging from $200 to $100,000 or more.
  by MEC407