Railroad Forums 

• What would you like to see happen with #3372?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

If service is not reactiavted, what would you like to see happen to #3372?

Become NYS&W #3372?
4%
Become M&E #3372?
32%
Keep on perminant display at Hoboken Terminal?
28%
Keep on Perminant display at the URHS?
20%
Re-introduce it on the NJT Hoboken Division as NJT #4172?
16%
 #29582  by sullivan1985

U34CH NJDOT #3372 just sits in Jimmy Wilsons Dundee Team-Track Yard in Passaic with the hopes of running on the reactivated Lower Boonton Line. Despite how many of us miss those smokey U-Boat's, or how much of us would not mind watching it cross high over the Passaic River over WR Draw, Jimmys dream will probobally never happen.

Personally I would think the NYS&W would make a good home for it. Give it some freight to pull instead of sitting in a cramped yard in the bowels of Passaic.

Here are some pictures I took of #3372 from last year:
1. http://sullivan1985.rrpicturearchives.n ... x?id=31477
2. http://sullivan1985.rrpicturearchives.n ... x?id=31478
Last edited by sullivan1985 on Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

#29611  by nick11a

Yeah, she's a beaut. I say put her on display at Hoboken.

#29690  by BigDell

Fantrips.
Would love to see it pulling the occasional "special" to points west or north...
BigDell

#29706  by sullivan1985

BigDell wrote:Fantrips.
Would love to see it pulling the occasional "special" to points west or north...
BigDell
Yeah I could see weekend fantrips, but only on the Hoboken Division, because thats the U34CH home ground.

Refresh #3372 with a nice new NJDOT "Bluebird" paintjob, and fix up atleast 6 or 7 Comet I's to safe standards (if allowed by the FRA, im not sure if they can even be upgraded anymore) and pull fantrips out on a differant former EL line every weekend.

#29729  by njt4172

I would love to see Jimmy Wilson's proposed commuter service work, but if it never happens I would hope to see her on display at Hoboken for an occasional fantrip or two.....URHS has no interest in fantrips anymore due to high insurance and costs, so it would have to be pulled by a M&E or NY&GL fantrip and/or dinner trainalong NJT lines....

LONG LIVE THE U-BOATS!!!! :D

Steve P.

#29786  by sullivan1985

#29793  by njt4172

Sullivan,

Just so you know the links to your U-boat pictures weren't working,. Perhaps you copied and pasted the wrong address?

Steve

#29839  by njt4172

Sullivan,

I see them now..Thanks!
I know the NY&GL did a lot of mechanical work, but do they plan on repainting it anytime soon?? That paint is really faded and bleached....Plus NJT used the wrong shade of blue when they repainted it in 1994...
The U-34's were delivered in the the NY yankee shade of dark navy blue...

Steve

#29852  by sullivan1985

I dont know, I hope they do something with the poor thing. I mean for the last of its type to survive in the united states, and only a few blocks away from the railroad it used to run on everyday, they should take a bit more care of it.

I serioulsy think that NYS&W or maybe M&E could really use a nice big powerhouse like a U34... And seince they have money, they could repaint it, and like mentioned before, run fan trips over the hoboken division on weekends, and use it to haul frieght during the week.

#29860  by DutchRailnut

does the engine not belong to URHS ??? and Jimmy Wilson only leases it ??
 #29866  by ryanov

...running past my house on the former Boonton Line.

#29873  by sullivan1985

DutchRailnut wrote:does the engine not belong to URHS ??? and Jimmy Wilson only leases it ??
Yeah UHRS owns it, but Jimmy still hopes to pull into Hoboken with it.

#29890  by DutchRailnut

Not gone happen, unless NJT crews operate the train. Mr. wilson is a dreamer without reality.
Mr.Sirsonic can probably verify that NJT crews are Sole operator of Passenger trains on NJT tracks. usualy first scope of a Labor Agreement. Those same crews are not gone operate equipment, of historical value(read not complying with todays safety rules) on a year around basis.

#29891  by njt4172

Dutch,

Please be alittle nicer and give Mr. Wilson some credit for his past accomplishments! Have you seen what he has done to his freight operation on the Dundee spur in Garfield?? Everyone thought the tracks would be ripped out on Monroe street and he took the mayor to court, won his case, and surprised all the pessimists! You say he isn't in touch with reality???? You try doing what he did.....!!

Steve