• What's left of the PeeBeeNee in Bethlehem????????

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

Just out of curiosity, what remains of the PB&N operation now that Beth Steel is gone? I know the yard is now used to store private X cars and the hump tower is borded up. I saw the employee parking lot the other day and it is nothing but weeds 8' high. But the office still has lights on. I'm assuming the closing of BS killed 99% of their business.

by glennk419

Besides storing cars as you mentioned, The PBNE serves a transloading facility at the far eastern end of their yard near the old Coke works and along the border with Hellertown. I believe a good portion of their yard is intact, I even saw relatively shiny rails leading from the yard and under the Rt 412 bridge when I was last there a couple of weeks ago. With the ex-Reading trackage gone through half of South Bethlehem, the sole connection to NS is now east of the Steel Works.

by roc

I believe the the PBN and NS jointly operate an intermodal facility on the site, yes?

by glennk419

NS interchanges cars in the yard with PBNE but I believe the PBNE actually switches the intermodal facility.

by yutzk

yep PBNE switches BethIntermodal. ( thats the actual name of the facility).

I think NS dumps them near the Route 378 Bridge in that 3 or 4 track area and the PBNE picks em up from there...not exactly sure.
  by 9to5clone

as mentioned, pbne switches for the intermodal, which is undergoing major renovations for a new rail overpass and road. I think that there was also money allocated to add a siding to the natural gas field that is next to that facility... PBNE also serves a forge that still functions in a few of the old Bethlehem Steel bldgs... Beyond that, there is a second control tower closer to the rail bridge over Route 412 (ie farther east than the one that's boarded up) that appears to be in use.

by John_Henry

Here's the scoop...

The PB&NE is now a new outfit (Lehigh Valley Rail Services or something like that) mad eup of former Beth Steel execs. They serve the intermodal yard and various other businesses on the ex Beth Steel property. Interchange is with NS and CP at the new river side yard.

Only a handful of PB&NE rolling stock is used by the new company. The rest of the switchers and slugs are stored around the old mill site under the Minsi Trail bridge near the old PB&NE enginehouse.