• What's a hump and yard?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by starionwolf

I keep seeing signs that say "do not hump." I think the sign is refering to a hump yard. I'm not sure what a hump yard is or why some trains can't go into a hump yard or over a hill (the hump?).

I'm so confused. lol

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

by SRS125

A hump yard is a calss yard where the cars are pushed up to the top of a small hill built in the middle of a yard. A normal class yard with a hump would have all the tracks tied into one central location at one end of the yard where the cars are pushed over the hump the yard fans out on the outher side of the hump with many switches at the outher end

here is a basic idea of How a yard works.
The cars are uncoupled and allowed to roll free on to a spicific track. By haveing a hump yard it saves time and money on switching and saves fuel by haveing 1-2 locomotives and a slug do the work rather than several locomotives building there trains one or two locos can do all the work freeing up outher much needed road power.

Now Cars that say "Do Not Hump" these are cars that are handing loads that can shift vary easy in a car such as lumber, paper rolls, exploseves, Glass or outher miterals that can be damaged when cars slame into each outher.

Here is anouther Yard:
CSX Queens Gate Yard
http://www.k8dti.com/cincy/queensgate.htm
center Section of map you will see the hump it has 6 tracks spaninging out to the main class yard. The Hump is just to the Right of the Overpass showen in the central section of the map.

Here is a beter view:
http://www.k8dti.com/cincy/csxphotos/Ci ... rd%205.jpg

hump is black streek in the middle of the yard near the bottom of the photo.
  by F40

starionwolf wrote:I keep seeing signs that say "do not hump." I think the sign is refering to a hump yard. I'm not sure what a hump yard is or why some trains can't go into a hump yard or over a hill (the hump?).

I'm so confused. lol

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
The hump is the hill, and retarders IIRC are used to slow down the cars a bit as they freely roll onto a train at the other end of the tracks. Barstow Classification Yard (or any other classification yard) is a good example of seeing a hump yard and is virtually the only place you'll find hump yards.
  by UPRR engineer

F40 wrote:Barstow Classification Yard ...... virtually the only place you'll find hump yards.
AAAHHH no its not. Theres quite a few hump yards. Or did you mean just near where he lives?

by F40

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was in the middle of a conversation as I typed it. :wink: I meant to say classification yards were virtually the only place you'll find hump yards (according to someone on SubTalk), not just that specific yard.

by Guest

I wish I was a hump yard.

-r

by CSX Conductor

David Telesha wrote:The New Haven's Cedar Hill Yard had humps - was also in the top 10 largest in the US.
The operative word here is "was" :(
Closest to that now is Selkirk, NY...which has 70 tracks in the "class yard".

As for the original posters question as for why cars are placarded "Do Not Hump", it is to prevent product damage due to hard hitches. However, many cars are humped even if they are placarded "Do Not Hump" because the car retarders are computerized and can calculate the weight of the car vs. slope of the hump to control the cars speed while descending the hill, preventing too hard of a hitch. :wink:

by Guest

David Telesha wrote: However, many cars are humped even if they are placarded "Do Not Hump" because the car retarders are computerized and can calculate the weight of the car vs. slope of the hump to control the cars speed while descending the hill, preventing too hard of a hitch. :wink:
It doesn't work. If you ever have the chance to check out the new hump yard at Enola on the NS, you'll find there is a great big pile of broken knuckles. Computers, scales, retarders - still doesn't work.

However, it's a fun job. There is a computer screen that tells you when to make the cuts. Remote control, computer screen and a lounge chair - railroading at it's easiest. And when the cars slam together, it makes a rather satisfying "bam!" If you get a trainee, you don't even have to pull the cut lever.

-r

by thebigc

razor wrote: It doesn't work. If you ever have the chance to check out the new hump yard at Enola on the NS, you'll find there is a great big pile of broken knuckles. Computers, scales, retarders - still doesn't work.

-r
Makes me wonder what was wrong with the old w/b hump yard. I hear that cars run out of the west end of the new hump yard on a frequent basis. Did NS get that squared away or is it still a problem?

by LCJ

As for running out the west end of Enola -- the PA PUC has had a lot to do with that over the years. Their directives have said that all clear tracks must have a "tie down" on them before switching any cars into them. This means several cars with handbrakes securely applied.

My guess is that NS has done things their way (you know, the right way), and disregarded operational history or local knowledge.

Hence -- cars running out the west end.

by Guest

What I meant to say was...

"The Enola hump yard works perfectly. There are never any derails due to the excellent performance of the top-notch remote loco crews. All hand brakes are properly tied on and each cut of cars is checked to make sure the brakes hold before the cut is detached from the power. We never have any cars run out the west end, nor do we ever break knuckles or damage freight."

-r

/end deep sarcasm

by CSX Conductor

razor wrote:There are never any derails due to the excellent performance of the top-notch remote loco crews.
Taking pride in working with remotes? What are you crazy?!? Remotes are killing jobs....and in a few cases they have killed human lives. :(

by thebigc

CSX Conductor wrote:
razor wrote:There are never any derails due to the excellent performance of the top-notch remote loco crews.
Taking pride in working with remotes? What are you crazy?!? Remotes are killing jobs....and in a few cases they have killed human lives. :(
Read the whole thread, CSX.

Hey razor, those good ole boys in Norfolk have a chat with you? You seem to have a much more "positive" attitude regarding Enola!!! :-D

by Guest

I'm pretty sure the hump yard worked better the old way. The oldheads tell me they classified about three times as many cars per day then the new yard. From what I understand, the NS wanted to save money by cutting down on labor costs and increase safety, hence the new yard.

I had the misfortune of working as a brakeman for a remote crew on the hump today...damn - I hate them! 45 minutes late for work, lazy, bad radio procedure, don't get three step protection, climb on the knuckles or rails to knock of brakes, don't watch the shove moves, don't double check switches - virtually nothing that they are supposed to do. On top of that, it was about 140 degrees in that stinking crap light power with no a/c. I DO NOT want to work with a crew like that, I don't want the grief from the bosses and I don't want to get dead either. I hate lazy half-assed ppl!

I was doing the trainmaster a favor. After my shift, I gave him an earful. I'll never work the hump with a remote crew again. Ever. If they give me a hog, I'd consider it.

Stupid hump! Stupid remote crew #%%#^*!

/end rant

Thanks for listening.

-r

by Guest

CSX Conductor wrote:
I hate them, hate them, hate them. And what is more, I hate them. I pray every day that the NS does not make me run a remote. I'll either quit, take a job as yardmaster, or apply to be a jitney driver.

-r