• What is your FAVORITE rail service in Philly?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Launcher

this thread was more for overall favorite ride than for most expedient, but anyway. My votes go to NJT's northeast corridor line, R2 wilmington and R6 norristown for their exquisite river views, Patco, and honorable mention : Rt 100.

I have not taken the New Hope Ivyland ride yet. Do they still run some of their trips the whole track down to Warminster? If so, what's keeping them from doing some all the way to the gallery sometimes? I'll bet they'd sell out fast, for people interested in going either/both ways at Christmastime. Ideally make every single local stop like Willow Grove and Elkins Park but just maybe skip Fern Rock and North Broad.

by PARailWiz

I have not taken the New Hope Ivyland ride yet. Do they still run some of their trips the whole track down to Warminster? If so, what's keeping them from doing some all the way to the gallery sometimes? I'll bet they'd sell out fast, for people interested in going either/both ways at Christmastime.
Neat idea, but if bringing a diesel into the tunnel is questionable, bringing a steam locomotive in must be out of the question.

by njtmnrrbuff

Sorry, I accidently typed my info in the wrong forum. Anyway, I haveridden every RRD line, the 100, patco from the Rand to the Gallery, and the entire RL. Here are the favorites.
The River Line: I am mostly a commuter rail buff and they treat this light rail line like a commuter rail. It runs through some scenic areas, especially the parts along the Delaware. I guess the rails are like any other rails since freight trains use this as well. It is nice to see the freight locomotives. Back to scenery, Crosswicks Creek in Bordentown is nice.
The 100: This is a must for any transit buff. That N5 car is like a bus on rails and can really accelerate. It goes through some scenic areas, especially near the 476 corridor.
RRD: The Doylestown Branch is pretty, especially with the small villages tied in there
R3 to Elwyn, I like going over those viaducts.
R6: going along the Sckuykill river is pretty, especially with the freight line on the other side. It reminds me of riding MN north of Peekskill.