• What is the 'Rail Development Group'

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Brad Smith

On Route 251 in Fishers/Victor there is a building with a sign out front that says 'Rail Development Group' with a stylized graphic of a loco.
Another sign out front says 'Help Wanted, Electrical Repair Tech.'.
Anyone know what they do? Just seems like a strange location for a rail related business to be. Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

by SimTrains

http://www.raildev.com/

From there web site:

Rail Development Group was founded in 1999 to provide mechanical and electromechanical products, services, and expertise to the freight and passenger rail train control industry.

*Office & Shop Facilities Located In Victor, NY
*Multiple Industry Affiliations
*AAR/AREMA
* RSSI
*IRSE
* Named Inventors on Multiple Patents
*100+ Years Industry Experience
*Product Engineering / Design
*Class 1 RR Operations
*Manufacturing Train Control Products
*Servicing Train Control Products

The Rail Development Group is divided into four (4) business segments:

*Signal Equipment Repair & Remanufacturing Services
*Replacement Parts
*Product Development & Design
*Engineering Services

Not sure if they have any customers around here. I would say from there web site, it looks kinda like a mom and pop operation, except that they have offices all over.

by Brad Smith

Thanks Sim Trains

I had typed their name in the local Frontier search engine but I didn't get a hit. Should have Googled. :wink:
  by bwparker1

If you dig deep enough you'll find that they're former Alstom folks

Dan Van Alstine
President

Dan has over 20 years of experience in the development and marketing of signaling products throughout both the rail and transit segments of the industry.

Dan formed the Rail Development Group after 22 years at ALSTOM Signaling Inc. (formerly General Railway Signal), where he had a variety of responsibilities, which included application engineering, field.....

http://www.raildev.com/page31.html

Jack Norris
General Manager--Sales and Marketing

Jack has worked in the signaling & train control industry for nearly 25 years. In addition to a background in application engineering and field test and installation, Jack has a wide array of experiences in sales and marketing. These experiences range from field sales, account management with "job winner" responsibilities in both the freight rail and transit rail sector, to proposal coordination, custo.....

David Donatello
Vice President Engineering and Quality

David has 15 years of experience in design, marketing, manufacturing, and support of train control products throughout the rail industry.

David left the position of Vice President of Quality with ALSTOM Signaling (formerly General Railway Signal Company) to form the Rail Development Group.....

http://www.raildev.com/page27.html
Last edited by bwparker1 on Mon May 09, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Matt Langworthy

Since they have a Victor location, do they receive or ship any supplies via Ontario Central?

by Brad Smith

BW,
Thanks for the in depth reply. Very interesting. Now I know where to get repair parts for that signal I hope to buy one day. :wink:

Matt,
The shop is not located near tracks nor does anything they do require that level of shipping. There appear to be a couple of switch machines in the yard but other than that it is a pretty nondescript operation, which I bet is the way they like it.