• What is the maximum speed on MBCR?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

Diverging Route wrote:The train does not get to 80 mph until after passing Sharon, then the engineer must take some brake before decending towards Canton Junction to keep to the speed limit.
The fact that it is up-hill heading east doesn't help much......especially since Sharon station is pretty much at the top of Sharon Hill. :wink:

Robert, as far as the max of 125 for Regionals, I believe the following is true:

1) As usual we are straying off topic slightly with all of the Amtrak discussion, LOL.

&

2) The AEM-7 & HHP-8 could probably pull in excess of 125 but it is limited to 125 because the consists which they pull are not equipped with tilting mechanisms. :wink:

by Nyterider

Nasadowsk wrote:<i>Technical issues aside, maybe an 80 mph limit makes some sense for push mode.</i>

Why? NJ's had 100mph push/pull for years now, 125 is either here or comming soon in Maryland. 125mph push/pull is common overseas.
True, but I'm a little leery of all the "documentaries" on push-pull operation. I hope it doesn't happen, but what if railroads are someday ordered that they can't exceed 80 mph in push mode for "safety"? :/ Amtrak itself has always avoided high speed push mode operation whenever possible.

I can't speak for MBTA trainsets. But NJT diesels with six car consists can reach 80 with stations that are 3 miles apart on the Raritan line.

by Robert Paniagua

CSX Conductor wrote:2) The AEM-7 & HHP-8 could probably pull in excess of 125 but it is limited to 125 because the consists which they pull are not equipped with tilting mechanisms. :wink:
Oh I see now, I though both came with tilt controls, but only the Acela does. Maybe the MBTA's commuter trains will be fitted with tilt controls in the future. :-D

by benltrain

CSX Conductor wrote:
Diverging Route wrote:The train does not get to 80 mph until after passing Sharon, then the engineer must take some brake before decending towards Canton Junction to keep to the speed limit.
The fact that it is up-hill heading east doesn't help much......especially since Sharon station is pretty much at the top of Sharon Hill. :wink:

Robert, as far as the max of 125 for Regionals, I believe the following is true:

1) As usual we are straying off topic slightly with all of the Amtrak discussion, LOL.

&

2) The AEM-7 & HHP-8 could probably pull in excess of 125 but it is limited to 125 because the consists which they pull are not equipped with tilting mechanisms. :wink:
AEM-7 is limited to ~125 mph, and HHP-8 is ~135

by benltrain

Robert Paniagua wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:2) The AEM-7 & HHP-8 could probably pull in excess of 125 but it is limited to 125 because the consists which they pull are not equipped with tilting mechanisms. :wink:
Oh I see now, I though both came with tilt controls, but only the Acela does. Maybe the MBTA's commuter trains will be fitted with tilt controls in the future. :-D
we discussed this on the LIRR forum. let's get the speed above 80 mph on MBTA for now :-D

by Nasadowsk

The top speed of the HHP-8 is 125mph, because it's was DESIGNED for 125mph, not any faster than that. Just like the AEM-7. Yes, they go faster in acceptance tests, but they're not intended to do this all the time.

As far as getting the top speed on the MBTA over 80? How about getting to 80 and saying there for a useful length of time, first? Modern MU equipment could do that (barring speed restriction due to geometery), by 'modern', I mean any recent high power:weight design, electric or diesel. For diesdel exmplaes, simply look at southern NJ (that's not a 'DLRV', there's no such thing as a DLRV expect in the minds of NJT management, and railfans who can't accept what a modern low platform MU looks like. That's a standard UIC compliant railcar, which can and is run without restriction anywhere in Europe)

I once saw MK's curves showing Caltrain's equipment. A 6 car train couldn't even top 60 between stations, that's how pathetic the acceleration was.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

but it is hard to hit 80 because of the close proximity of the stations, why speed up so fast, to just slow down for the next station stop anyway?

the only places where MBTA's can hit 80 on the attleboro, as mentioned before is between Sharon and South Attleboro, between stations after South Attleboro, trains are limited to 50 mph for the curves through Pawtucket, then 70 until the east end of ORMS Interlocking and before Sharon, the stations are too close and they are limited to 60 between Forest hills and Ruggles, then 25 in the Back Bay tunnel

MBTA trains traveling westbound on Track 3(Boston -Providence) see these speeds:

25 (Back Bay) then 60 ( Ruggles-Forest Hills) then 80 (Forest Hills to Read INTL.) then 45 (Approach limited signal at Read INT. for the change Track 3- Track 1) then MAS, but then the train just has to slow down for Route 128 stop

by Robert Paniagua

Amtrak comparison:

MBTA trains traveling westbound on Track 3(Boston -Providence) see these speeds:

25 (Back Bay) then 60 ( Ruggles-Forest Hills) then 80 (Forest Hills to Read INTL.) then 45 (Approach limited signal at Read INT. for the change Track 3- Track 1) then MAS, but then the train just has to slow down for Route 128 stop

As for Amtrak's going that route, they would go 55 (Back Bay), then 80 to 90 (Ruggles area to Forest Hills Area) then 110 all on track 1 and then slow down gradually for Rte 128.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

back bay tunnel, i beleive Amtrak's are limited to 35 on the BBY curve, there is no way they allow 55 for the curve there

by CSX Conductor

I believe the curve is even less than that, maybe 25 or 30. Just west of the curve it goes up to 50mph for freight, so I assume it may be 80 or more for passenger....will refer to the books when I get a chance.

by mxdata

There seems to be an ongoing assumption here that the existing equipment hits the ceiling at 80MPH and it is going to require a new and more powerful locomotive to go any faster. Do you think there is an overspeed setting for the MAS aspect and if so how do you think they would test it?

by CSX Conductor

As for the existing equipment exceeding 80mph, I think it's been forgotten that the manufacturer's max speed for all MBTA coaches is 80mph. :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

back bay tunnel, i beleive Amtrak's are limited to 35 on the BBY curve, there is no way they allow 55 for the curve there

Actually I didn't mean the curve. In fact, you're right about the speed limit curve of 35. I meant past the curve towards RTE 128.

by mxdata

CSX Conductor, by revealing that the "wheezing diesels" really aren't the limiting factor here you have spoiled it for somebody who keeps trying to land a great big order of expensive new high tech locomotives for his pals in Europe. :wink:

by octr202

mxdata wrote:CSX Conductor, by revealing that the "wheezing diesels" really aren't the limiting factor here you have spoiled it for somebody who keeps trying to land a great big order of expensive new high tech locomotives for his pals in Europe. :wink:
I hope you aren't holding out for the T to generate that large order of high tech electrics -- could be a long wait! :wink:

But ahh, I see April 1st is fast approaching...