Railroad Forums 

• What happens if the Acela I doesn't make it to the finish line...

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1636963  by Jeff Smith

So recent news about the Avelia Acela II finally passing HAL's computer modeling (“I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.) leaves me wondering, what if enough of the first generation Acelas just can't hang on? What would the effect be on the NEC if they're taken out of service? Or, at least, their number is greatly reduced?

Am I being alarmist?

By the way, I'm not the first to reference "HAL".
 #1636966  by NaugyRR

*sarcasm*
Turboliners go through emergency refurbishment and converted to run on overhead, AEM-7's and ALP's get pulled from the dead line, and HHP8's are reinstated. GG1's are sourced from museums around the country and the E60 from PA gets reactivated.
*sarcasm*

Sorry Jeff, I couldn't resist LOL :P
 #1636968  by Gilbert B Norman

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:21 am By the way, I'm not the first to reference "HAL
HAL first came to be known during 1968 with the release of the movie "2001 A Space Odyssey":

https://youtu.be/Wy4EfdnMZ5g?feature=shared

But, off topic if I may, the most "haunting" portion of the movie was Gyorgi Ligeti's work "Atmosphere" which was part of the musical score and which I was privileged to hear the Vienna Philharmonic perform at Salzburg last August:

https://youtu.be/RCNzwdLwA8g?feature=shared
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1636969  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:21 am So recent news about the Avelia Acela II finally passing HAL's computer modeling (“I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.) leaves me wondering, what if enough of the first generation Acelas just can't hang on? What would the effect be on the NEC if they're taken out of service? Or, at least, their number is greatly reduced?

Am I being alarmist?

By the way, I'm not the first to reference "HAL".
No, you're not alarmist. There's been a lot of canceled Acela trips during this frozen spell, so the worry is there.

The limited Regional idea would be best, paired with making a deal with MARC for the four AEM-7's stored there so you have engines pulling them. This depends on how much spare equipment Amtrak has that can fill in for the Acelas.

On the flip side, what is breaking often? The engines? If so, maybe pulling the equipment with the AEM-7's will help.
 #1636970  by Jeff Smith

I like it!
NaugyRR wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:39 am *sarcasm*
Turboliners go through emergency refurbishment and converted to run on overhead, AEM-7's and ALP's get pulled from the dead line, and HHP8's are reinstated. GG1's are sourced from museums around the country and the E60 from PA gets reactivated.
*sarcasm*

Sorry Jeff, I couldn't resist LOL :P
 #1636971  by ChesterValley

This is what I was trying to bring up in the other thread, could Amtrak lease the cars from MARC and ACS-64 Locos from SEPTA? SEPTA is only operation at I think 75% capacity and could reallocate resources if needed. I know the gearing is different, but Amtrak is in that bad of a pinch it could work. They've leased sets from MARC for thanksgiving so its not impossible. I'm only bringing up SEPTA as I know them, there could be other solutions to use.
 #1636978  by STrRedWolf

ChesterValley wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:38 pm This is what I was trying to bring up in the other thread, could Amtrak lease the cars from MARC and ACS-64 Locos from SEPTA? SEPTA is only operation at I think 75% capacity and could reallocate resources if needed. I know the gearing is different, but Amtrak is in that bad of a pinch it could work. They've leased sets from MARC for thanksgiving so its not impossible. I'm only bringing up SEPTA as I know them, there could be other solutions to use.
While I can see MARC lending out their mothballed AEM-7's, I can't see them lending out the old MARC IIA/B fleet to replace the Acela's (maybe to fill in the Regionals). And as a reminder, the MARC IIIs can't fit, and I don't know if any of the equipment is qualified to go all the way up to Boston and back... but the AEM-7's known to get up there.
 #1637010  by John_Perkowski

Using commuter cars on what’s supposed to be a premium experience is a great way to surrender the market to auto and air.

Amtrak needs to buy back the Amfleets in private ownership, shop them so they can run 100mph or greater, put comfortable coach and parlor seating in them, and have them ready to go.
 #1637012  by Nasadowsk

John_Perkowski wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 pm Amtrak needs to buy back the Amfleets in private ownership, shop them so they can run 100mph or greater, put comfortable coach and parlor seating in them, and have them ready to go.
Unless there was any clause in the sale saying they can buy back at X price, if I were an owner of one of those cars, and Amtrak came to me, I’d give them “premium pricing”…
 #1637038  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:18 pm Using commuter cars on what’s supposed to be a premium experience is a great way to surrender the market to auto and air.
Nah, they would make limited Regionals from regular Amfleets and plug the holes they made with MARC IIA/IIB's between DC and NYC. I know those consists are qualified for the DC to NYC runs, and the AEM-7 qualifications wouldn't take long. They'd probably refund some of the difference between the Acela and Regionals and give a discount on the MARC specials as a gesture of good will and transparency.

In other words, it's a close-to-ready Plan B. Plan A, however, would be to get more of their fleet off of mothballs and repaired.
 #1637044  by ChesterValley

Apologies, I meant to put in my earlier post to pull sets from SEPTA/MARC for NE Regional's and repurpose the NE Regional's for Acela's schedule as STrRedWolf was pointing out. From what I remember Acela is able to run as fast because it has less stops, it only really uses its 150 mph legs in a couple of sections.

Unless Amtrak is somehow magically going to accelerate testing and certification on the new Avelia's
 #1637050  by John_Perkowski

TBH, what I expect to see is none of the above, instead rather like too many times before, an old fashioned clusterf**k.