• What engine died on 5/3?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hey everyone, does anybody know which engine died in Providence yesterday?

From the MBTA website:

"On the Attleboro Line, Train #806, the 7:10 am train from Providence, experienced a locomotive failure shortly after leaving Providence and had to return to Providence. Efforts by mechanical personnel were not successful in correcting this problem and passengers were asked to ride on later trains. All passengers at the stations on this line were not able to board the train because of the crowded conditions. Where possible, other trains were directed to make station stops to board passengers."
  by Diverging Route

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:hey everyone, does anybody know which engine died in Providence yesterday?

From the MBTA website:

"On the Attleboro Line, Train #806, the 7:10 am train from Providence, experienced a locomotive failure shortly after leaving Providence and had to return to Providence. Efforts by mechanical personnel were not successful in correcting this problem and passengers were asked to ride on later trains. All passengers at the stations on this line were not able to board the train because of the crowded conditions. Where possible, other trains were directed to make station stops to board passengers."
YIKES! I often take the 806 from Mansfiled (didn't yesterday thank goodness). This is one of the most croweded trains on the system -- SRO from Mansfield, where it's expres to Back Bay. The next train, 808, is a local and is SRO at 128.

With 28 new bilevels on-line, it's incredible there are still such crowded conditions on both the north and south sides. (The 306 had just FIVE cars on Tuesday -- it usually has six, and needs seven!) Then again, there are 100+ cars on the deadline at BET. Hello MBCR -- pay some overtime and get these back on track!

by Robert Paniagua

I know, I feel it's time to get back those cars in service again....
  by CSX Conductor

Diverging Route wrote:Hello MBCR -- pay some overtime and get these back on track!
I thought that the MBCR was already financially strapped. :(

by SnoozerZ49

Are they still having problems with getting out of service cars back in service? It seems that the line would grow this time of year when the need for functioning air conditioning came into play. Doe that mean that the line of OOS cars will grow longer? A previous post mentioned 100 plus cars at BET. I can't imagine there is any room for that many cars at BET.

Are there any double deck cars running north side these days? I know they test cars between Wilmington and Shop but are there any in revenue service?

Finally, any word on the new Lawrence station platform arrangement? Is the single track station causing any delays?

by Diverging Route

Robert Paniagua wrote:I know, I feel it's time to get back those cars in service again....
To do that, MBCR will have to shell out some overtime. PEOPLE -- write to the T and tell them this is unacceptable... and that their contractor needs to get to work.

by GP40MC 1116

SnoozerZ49 wrote:Are they still having problems with getting out of service cars back in service? It seems that the line would grow this time of year when the need for functioning air conditioning came into play. Doe that mean that the line of OOS cars will grow longer? A previous post mentioned 100 plus cars at BET. I can't imagine there is any room for that many cars at BET.

Are there any double deck cars running north side these days? I know they test cars between Wilmington and Shop but are there any in revenue service?

Finally, any word on the new Lawrence station platform arrangement? Is the single track station causing any delays?

Lawrence Sta isn't SIngle Tracked..Heading Inbound Towards Boston is the High Level Platform. WHen Heading Outbound towards Haverhill, their is a small, aspault platform for those passengers.. Though not sure if it's only temp, would have make more sense 2 make 2 High levels and have a connecting walkway between? The "3rd Track" which heads under the Bridge Right by Lawrence Station runs up to were the Outbound Platform is sitting on now. I have a pictures of it on NErail i took here..

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... y=bkennedy

by GP40MC 1116

SnoozerZ49 wrote:

I remember when i was a kid.. (im 20 now) back in the early 90's boarding a Double Decker Car and taking it to N Station, I believe it was on the Fitchburg Line, can anyone fill me in, I do believe that the Bi-Levels' did run on the North Side for a while..

by octr202

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
SnoozerZ49 wrote:

I remember when i was a kid.. (im 20 now) back in the early 90's boarding a Double Decker Car and taking it to N Station, I believe it was on the Fitchburg Line, can anyone fill me in, I do believe that the Bi-Levels' did run on the North Side for a while..
Yes they did run on the northside back in the 90s --when Big Dig construction limited the track space available at North Station.

I remember riding one from Lowell back to Boston around '97.

by railfan101

octr202 wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:
SnoozerZ49 wrote:

Yes they did run on the northside back in the 90s --when Big Dig construction limited the track space available at North Station.

I remember riding one from Lowell back to Boston around '97.

They were also run on the Haverhill line as well back in 92/93 for a little while. There is a lot of speculation that these cars can't be put in service on the north side. From what I have been told, by a couple of MBCR employees is that the tracks can't support the bi-level cars and that they had a tendency to derail.
I don't know how true this is or if it is a rider capacity issue. Ridership is higher on the southside :( :(
  by GP40MC1118

There are no restrictions on Kawasaki coaches operating on the Northside except for the speed restriction at Bradford.

In reference to the "tendency to derail" remark, that's not true. What
happened was an outbound Rockport train derailed a K-car on one of
the slip-switches at the front ladder at Tower A. It was one truck and
minor oops at that. And it may have been issues with the trucks,
since it wasn't too long after the Kawasaki's went through a truck
retrofit program.

dave
  by railfan101

GP40MC1118 wrote:There are no restrictions on Kawasaki coaches operating on the Northside except for the speed restriction at Bradford.

In reference to the "tendency to derail" remark, that's not true. What
happened was an outbound Rockport train derailed a K-car on one of
the slip-switches at the front ladder at Tower A. It was one truck and
minor oops at that. And it may have been issues with the trucks,
since it wasn't too long after the Kawasaki's went through a truck
retrofit program.

dave

Thanks Dave,

I was hoping that what I had previously had been told about this was wrong.

There is hope for us north side commuters :P :P

by mxdata

Was anyone able to figure out what engine died on 5/3?
  by GP40MC1118

It was the 1069, but she wasn't the problem. It was the control car - 1701.
The train became disabled at Orms, could not remedy the problem and
limped back to Providence Station.

D

by Robert Paniagua

Oh wow, the control car's fault this time? That's kinda strange.