• What Became Of The #385?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by jmp883

Was going through some old Railpace's I have lying around and in one from 1990 there was a picture of the old Morris County Central 2-8-0 #385 being delivered via flatbed to the Bergen County Vo-tech. The caption stated they hoped to have the engine restored within 5 years.

Whatever happened to this engine?

by metman499

I believe that this engine is in Harrison NJ on J. Supor and Sons property.

by jmp883

Appreciate the info, but I'm just curious...is it at a scrapyard? And if it isn't, what condition is it in?

It would be a shame to see a once operating steamer just rust away.

by Al Holleuffer

Former MCCRR 2-8-0 No. 385 is indeed stored in the Supor Industrial Park in Harrison, NJ. I stopped by to look at the old gal a few weeks ago. It was the first time I had laid eyes on her since leaving the MCC in 1981 to get marrried. She currently is sitting oustdoors on a panel of track behind some other equipment. Considering that she has been sitting out in the elements all these years she is not in bad shape but mechanically she needs a lot of work. Joe Supor told several people he has no immediate plans for the engine.

by jmp883

Thanks Al, appreciate the info.

Hopefully she'll be saved, even if only for static display.

by Idiot Railfan

Wasn't that locomotive once in the hands of a tech school in Bergen County, Hackensack I believe? Or am I thinking of a different loco? Or am I just loco?

by jmp883

Idiot Railfan wrote:
Wasn't that locomotive once in the hands of a tech school in Bergen County, Hackensack I believe? Or am I thinking of a different loco? Or am I just loco?
No, you're not loco...it was originally donated to the Bergen County Vo-Tech high school back in October of 1990.

by Steamtown Observer

No, you're not loco...it was originally donated to the Bergen County Vo-Tech high school back in October of 1990.
I remember the move to Bergen Vo-Tech. It was quite a scene, stopping traffic and gathering crowds. There were quite a few permits required and several overhead wires had to be moved. Now it is in Harrison. How did they get it down there without anyone seeing it move? Also, the 385 was donated by the NYS&W to Bergen Vo-Tech. As a public school, Vo-Tech can't just "give away" property. Where was the public notice? Where was the invitation to bid? It seems like this transfer fails the smell test.

by jmp883

That's why I started this thread.....there just seems to be too many unanswered questions.

Steamtown Observer raised some very good questions in his post. I'm not looking to pin blame on anyone or to make anyone out as the bad guy, but as a fairly active railfan who reads several monthly magazines, has friends who work for several area railroads, and keeps up with the hobbyshop gossip, I never heard about the #385 being moved from Hackensack to Harrison either.

Oh well, stranger things have happened........ :wink:

Like I said before, hopefully she'll be saved.

by metman499

Well, it's been at Supor since I started working at a nearby company. That was the summer of 99. Not the only piece of historical interest there. There is a steam traction engine and I have spotted several buses on the property as well.

by Lackawanna484

Supor also warehoused several wood sided trolley cars during the 1980s in his facility just south of the football stadium along the Passaic River

by BlockLine_4111

My family has some nice pix of #385 during a family outing in fall 1973, IIRC. Some of the photos include bandits who collected monopoly like money from the riders. Wish i could post 'em here someday.

I also have an old Railpace magazine with excellent rundown on the rise and fall of the MCCRR. Good shots of #385 and #4039.

by metman499

I'm working this week and should have a few jpegs for you guys tomorrow night of her.

by metman499

As promised a pair of shots taken from private property (my employer) of 385. http://community.webshots.com/album/393603172pLoYXM

by jmp883

Metman499,

Thanks for the pics....she's not as far-gone looking as I thought she'd be. I just hope she's saved and restored, at least cosmetically. It'd be a shame to see her just rust away...

Thanks to all who've answered my questions on the 385, and of course if anyone has more info, please post it!