• Western Route Trains Stopping @ Oak Grove

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

According to this week's MBCR General Bulletin, some trains are scheduled to stop at Oak Grove, anybody know why? I did not make note of the specific train numbers which it listed, sorry.

Anyone recall the last time Oak Grove was used for normal stops?

by danib62

This has to do with the late night signal work on the orange line. When orange line service is suspended commuter trains will make the stop at oak grove.

by CSX Conductor

That makes sense, thanks. As I mentioned in my original post I did not make note of the specific trains to see what time of day they were but now it makes sense, thanks again. :-)

by Robert Paniagua

Anyone recall the last time Oak Grove was used for normal stops?

Yes, back in July 2004 during the notorious DNC, when the MBCR Oak Grove platform was reactivated to use as a temporary terminus while North Station was closed that week.

by GP40MC 1116

Robert Paniagua wrote:Anyone recall the last time Oak Grove was used for normal stops?

Yes, back in July 2004 during the notorious DNC, when the MBCR Oak Grove platform was reactivated to use as a temporary terminus while North Station was closed that week.

Was Oak Grove ever used as a Regular Stop?

by CSX Conductor

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yes, back in July 2004 during the notorious DNC, when the MBCR Oak Grove platform was reactivated to use as a temporary terminus while North Station was closed that week.
As you said Robert, temporary. Anybody know of the last regularly scheduled service?

by Rockingham Racer

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:Anyone recall the last time Oak Grove was used for normal stops?

Was Oak Grove ever used as a Regular Stop?
As a kid, I used to hang out at the gatetender's shanty on Wyoming Ave. in Melrose, and it seems to me that a few rush hour trains stopped at Oak Grove. That was long before the Orange Line extentions was even a thought [in the 50's].

by TomNelligan

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Was Oak Grove ever used as a Regular Stop?
The Boston & Maine timetable for October 1956 shows five morning rush hours trains and three evening rush hour trains stopping at Oak Grove. By the early 1960s it was no longer a passenger stop. I strongly suspect that it was one of the close-in stations that the B&M closed in 1958 when most commuter stops within the original Metropolitan Transit Authority district were eliminated. (Most were later restored in the 1970s by the MBTA, like Waverley, Belmont, West Medford, and Chelsea.)