• Weather affecting the railroad 04-16-2007

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Jonny Bolt

Looks like a PAR freight train was at a stand-still at some point today due to floods. Must have been near 108. Not sure how long it sat.

by Dick H

District #2 between Portland and Plaistow is shut down. There is a major washout at Berwick ME, possibly caused by a failure of the Matthews Dam. There is also high water in other areas, fallen trees, etc. WAED was pulled back to Rockingham to tie down there.

No word as of 2:00PM on when Downeaster and freight service may resume.

Dick H

by MEC407

I saw a LOT of fallen trees in the Wells area today... wouldn't be surprised if the tracks through Wells are a bit messy at this time. Wells Beach is a real mess. Lots of buildings flooded, and significant damage to the seawall. I can only imagine what Camp Ellis is Saco looks like.

by Jonny Bolt

Rte 1 in Hampton over the marsh (to the Hampton Falls town line) is closed tonight in anticipation of the "big tide". I may try to go down the abandoned part of the railroad bed, as it is just East of the road, and survey the flood damage.

by Guilford Guy

There were also 2 Mainline Crews in lowell today. Probably waiting to head west although I don't know why they wouldn't just go as far as lawrence.