• WE WANT A ALCO C430 IN HO SCALE

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by NYSW3000

Hi guys my friend Matt and I have decided to get the word out that a ALCO C430 needs to be made in plastic here is what he & I have posted on the atlas fourm

Ok atlas, bowser, proto, and who ever reads this this is an open letter/poll. This is strictly for persons wanting a c430 so we can get some idea of the market.

This is for everyone who desires an accurate C430 in ho scale (prefferably from atlas). Yes were are all aware that there were only 16 built, and yes there are only 5 remaining but we as customers feel the need to let you know there IS A MARKET FOR THIS MODEL.

How often have we been told that theres" no market" and it would "require new tooling"? SO WHAT? Has ford been in business for 106 years by making ONLY model Ts?
When New tooling is required are we then doomed to God only knows how many countless variations and phases of GP40s and C424/25s? (of course never seeing commuter geeps or D&H c424ms) Let your voices be heard!

I have now bought my third Overland c430, totaling around $1500. money that could me made by atlas or any one of the major model companies (dont even get me started on athearns lack of alco road switchers).

Now for the fun part! Here is the "lack of road names" that makes this model a hard sell

Green Bay and Western Railroad (1) 315

New York Central Railroad (10) 2050-2059
*lets not for get these all became Penn central
*were the last NYC diesel purchased
* CR patch

Reading Railroad (2) 5211-5212
*AAR trucks
*patched into CR

Seaboard Coast Line Railroad 3
*ex Alco (demonstrators) 430-1 to 430-3

Later and current Owners

NYSW 5 # 3000,3002,3004,3006,and 3008
* 3000 & 3006 wore a modified paint scheme after 1990

M&E 2 # 16,17
* modified paint scheme after 1992(?)
PC 10 # 2050-2059
CR 12 # 2048-59
L&N 2 2247 & 5600

Current Owners

WN&P 4 # 430,431,432 and 433
* ex NYSW 3000 & 3006 and ME 16 & 17

Now I know that atlas has done many of these road names and many of our rosters are missing important numbers that this model fills. I would commit to buying the remaining nysw numbers missing from my fleet (since I did have to resort to brass), and both M&E units.

Atlas, Proto went out on a limb to make RDCs, RS27s and DL109s for crying out loud! Athearn took a risk in making sd45-2s, sd60Is, and gp40Xs. You make a wonderful product and lets see the HH660 followed up by another great alco thats missing from our rosters.....

Modelers, atlas, thoughts?

Heres a list off all the paint scheme's

C430 Paint list
Demos- Alco 3 color scheme light blue, grey and red stripe
NYC- black with hamburger style logo NYC spelled on long hood
Reading – Yellow & Green bumblebee scheme .both locomotives had names on their cabs
GBW – as delivered red & grey under frame grey later repaint all red with black under frame
2nd owners
Penn Central – NYC lettering painted out on some units I don’t think any ever got PC markings
L&N – L&Ns all grey scheme with logo on long hood and numbers on cab ex demos
Seaboard Cost Line –black with 2 yellow stripes ex demos
3rd owners
Conrail – NYC lettering painted out. 2 ex readings black paint applied over reading. CR applied to the nose, rear and on the side of the rear hood. Some got CR blue with the can opener only 1 of the ex reading got blue
4th owners –
Susquehanna –Early Yellow jacket with black roof and silver trucks. Unfortunately 3 of the 5 got scraped. The 2 surviving ones got the later NYSW Yellow jacket paint scheme black goes below roof line and is higher on the bottom and one was lettered under the cab numbers for a former NYSW employee
Morristown & Erie- M&E all red scheme black under frame Morristown & Erie spelled out on the long hood and on the nose and rear. Later all black roof with M&E logos on nose and rear M&E spelled out on long hood
5th owners –
WN&P- NYSW paint 3006 rebuilt in 2007 repainted in YN&Ps black with yellow side sill renumbered 430. The 3000 is waiting to be returned to service still in Yellow Jacket. The ex M&Es are both running with the Morristown & Erie markings painted out they carry the numbers 431 & 432
GBW (currently awaiting restoration at the National Railway Museum) no longer owned by GBW

Matt L&N had 3 i forgot to add in 5602

yea if anyone Comes out with a PLASTIC C430 im down for 18

Does anyone thinks the C430 has enough road names to be produced . And is anyone interested in having them made in plastic
  by graftonterminalrr

A plastic C430 has existed in HO since 1966:

by NYSW3000

when i say plastic i mean a atlas quality C430 . lol
  by Randy Earle

graftonterminalrr wrote:A plastic C430 has existed in HO since 1966:

That is a stain on the model railroading world. TYCO is short for toy company. I'm like the old cowboy on the range, I "rolled my own"

by graftonterminalrr

Hi Randy,

Yeah, I know - I'm just poking a little fun. I like your C430 - lotta work went into that one.
  by NYSW3000

yea maybe atlas should look at Randy's C430to see how easy it would be too tool them
  by Randy Earle

It uses a slightly thinned down Atlas U23B Drive. The length and wheelbase are very close. The cab and shell are Stewart and are heavily modified with Atlas parts. I even used Atlas Pilots and Handrails.
  by ApproachMedium

Yea why bother chasing down atlas to make something in a nitche area such as this? Same thing with the GP40PH-2/GP40P. Theres plenty of plastic stuff out there to start with so get your modeling skills together and make your own!! Isnt this what Model Railroading is about? Its not about opening the box and just putting it on the rails like we all seem to want it these days....

Didnt AHM make something similar as well?
  by Luther Brefo

If you would like a peek at the information packet I am preparing for a very good manufacturer, check here:

it is a 17.69 MB PDF file (lots of imagines) but dimensions will be coming in the spring when I can stand outside and not freeze!

http://people.rit.edu/lkb0821/pfw/ALCO% ... 20Pack.pdf
  by Flat-Wheeler

I agree with Approach. And what the hell happen to the days when you'd spend hours upon hours constructing a model like Randy has done, and proving you were a serious modeler and not some overgrown boy with a fat wallet. Please, not another Alco model. How many are there already ? Must be the C430 is the last Alco to be tooled.
  by Randy Earle

What is wrong with another Alco model? We have been EMDed to death! EMD isn't the only locomotive company, in fact they left the US.
  by ApproachMedium

Randy Earle wrote:What is wrong with another Alco model? We have been EMDed to death! EMD isn't the only locomotive company, in fact they left the US.

How about another FM model instead? I really dont see enough of thouse to go around! Or how about a baldwin? EMD and ALCo arent the only two people to ever make locos!

Id love to see a plastic model of some of the old Baldwin double cabbed diesels that the CNJ had! They were the only dual cab diesel I know of in the US.
  by trainwayne1

Baldwin Baby Face A & B units would be a nice addition too.....especially for someone modeling the NYS&W and including Green Pond Jct. on their layout....(Me) :-D