• We're Number Five - Phoenix

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

CBS Radio and other newssources report the mythical bird has risen to displace Philadelphia in population within its corporate limits.

There is many a railroad industry and rail passenger issue to discuss here regarding where the folk are (Sunset) and "where they ain't' (Builder).

But I'm just sitting back and am going to watch The Sopranos.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
(cut to production credits)

by Rockingham Racer

Since Phoenix itself isn't served anymore with passenger rail, this would make it the largest city in the USA without such. I supposed we could argue that service is within driving distance. In that case, Columbus, OH would retain the "honor".

by walt

Time marches on----- I remember when Philadelphia was proud to be the fourth largest city. I wonder what the city fathers have to say about this latest development.

by LI Loco

Throw in Phoenix and the Sunset route (LA - New Orleans) is the most populous transcontinental line. Yet the train runs only 3x week. Go figure!

by taoyue

Time marches on, indeed. <shrug> I imagine the city fathers (and mothers) feel the same way as the New York legislature did when California became the most populous state in the Union. People have been moving south and west since just after World War II. Once city, or even one state, cannot do a whole bunch about national demographic trends.

As far as rail is concerned, commuter rail would seem to be most relevant to this population landmark. As for intercity rail, how does the legislature feel, compared to California's? No additional intercity rail without money.
  by hhswami

So I guess my leisure vacation on Amtrak between Columbus, Ohio and Phoenix, Arizona is out of the question!

You guys are always full of great travel tips :-D , especially when it comes to national passenger railroad travel!
  by Tom Curtin

Speaking just for me I find it inconceivable that so many people are willing to put up with so much heat ---- and I mean really intense, body draining heat --- for so much of the year. But, what do I know? . . .

by prr60

The operative phrase is "within corporate limits". Most older cities have relatively limited areas with little room for growth. But the market importance of a metropolitan area is based on the entire area, not just the core city. Using that measure, called by the Census a Metropolitain Statisitical Area (MSA), you then get a different story. The ranking of MSA's are:

1 New York (18,818,000)
2 Los Angeles (12,950,000)
3 Chicago (11,562,000)
4 Dallas / Fort Worth (6,003,000)
5 Philadelphia (5,827,000)

13 Phoenix (4,040,000)

Source: US Census: July 1, 2006 estimate

by Gilbert B Norman

Point is noted, Mr. Pittsburgher

If one is to use SMSA as a guideline, then I guess Phoenix still has rail passenger service - if you call tri-weekly 40 miles away from Downtown "service".

All I know is that Phonecians do not wish to "rise" with any kind of rail passenger service, save the "fringe" thqat travels the Sunset. There have over the years been initiatives to establish rail commuter service there - and every time there is a referendum regarding such, it gets torpedoed.

A relative of sorts (my deceased Father's deceased second wife's son - whatever that is to me) is always happy to announce to me (he thinks I'm a railfan) how he and a majority always get rid of that nonsense at the polls. Safe assumption he will do same with the current "crop" of initiatives. The only transportation he knows has either tires and/or propellers (boat, F-250 dualie to haul it about, Expedition for wife and "buppies', part interest in an aircraft).
  by NellieBly

Well, as a resident of the Philadelpha MSA (New Jersey side of the river), I'd like to point out that Phoenix is building a light rail line that will link it to Tempe and the airport, even as we post here.

Also, there is continuing discussion of commuter rail between Tucson and Phoenix. Could happen...

As for the heat, it was Willis Carrier's invention that made the South (and most of the West) habitable. At even at that, I imagine the cost of air conditioning a house in Phoenix is probably less than I pay to heat my house in the winter and cool it in summer.

My biggest problem with Phoenix (and Denver, and Albuquerque, and many other "new" cities) is that they completely lack "pride of place". In Phoenix, you could be anywhere in modern American suburbia. At least here, we have Independence Hall, Society Hill, Fairmount Park, more than a century of rowing on the Schuylkill.

There is a book about suburban sprawl called "The Geography of Nowhere". That phrase about describes Phoenix.

by blockss

Las Vegas doesn't have service either.

by GooStats

to go with the same logic as Nellie Bly, Phoenix is not a city. It is just a big suburb in the middle of a desert. Here in Philly we have things such as food, various ethnic groups, and sports teams that have been around for more than 10 years.

by walt

Philadelphia, as is the case with all of the Eastern cities located in the original 13 states, has a rich history that none of the newer, western, cities will ever match. ( The Philles, for instance, as poor a won-lost record as they have, are a more than 100 year old franchise). Many of Philly's traditions are also more than 100 years old, the New Year's day Mummer's parade is a good example. And the 69th Street Terminal, as well as the Market Street portion of the Market Frankford Subway Elevated and SEPTA Route 100, is 100 years old. Let's see Phoenix top that.

I wouldn't be surprised if 100 years from now, though, we talk about Philly as part of the same "Megalopolis" as everything along the NEC. When that happens, they can permanently retire the "No. 1" trophy.

by NealG

GooStats wrote:to go with the same logic as Nellie Bly, Phoenix is not a city. It is just a big suburb in the middle of a desert. Here in Philly we have things such as food, various ethnic groups, and sports teams that have been around for more than 10 years.
Well, as the saying goes: There's no "there" there.