• wayward loco

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by O-6-O

While kicking around Silver Spring last Friday I came across this engine sitting on a stub end siding at Morton Salt with 2 boxcars. Kind of strange for a commutor loco to be sitting in nowhere NY. Looks freshly shopped as its very clean with new hoses and gladhands. Bad order set out? Going where from where? (inquiring minds want to know). Any guesses?
  by Conrail4evr

Coming back from AMPI in Dansville, I believe.
  by scottychaos

Yep, definitely a Dansville rebuild..
dropped off by R&S at Silver Springs to be picked up by NS..

I had to google VRE, never heard of them before..Virginia Railway Express..
a Virginia/Washington DC area commuter system.

nice to see F40's still being used!
an ex-Amtrak engine probably?

other F40's have been spotted in Rochester lately heading to Dansville..
this is the first time I have seen a photo of one after its been completed..nice! :P

Scot
  by O-6-O

Scot, The v34 pictured above is indeed an ex-Amtrac unit #294. Never looked so good. They have a number of these.
  by BR&P

That's a fairly common move. A few months ago I drove by and saw a yellow EMD switcher in fresh new paint lettered for some steel company, obviously newly rebuilt, right where your photos were taken.
  by Scott K

I saw an NJT F40 eastbound in a train on the Westshore just past Mortimer about 3 weeks ago. I assumed it was also an AMPI rebuild. No camera with me at the time, of course...

Scott K.