• Walkway Over the Hudson - Poughkeepsie Railroad Bridge

• General discussion related to Rail Trails and rail-related recreation nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails and rail-related recreation nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

by dwil89

Last Sunday was my first time up to the Highland area....I normally focus between Dunderberg Mountain and Breakneck Ridge often hiking up to the mountaintops to get elevated vantagepoints of the valley and railroads.

Last Thursday was my 2nd trip up to Highland....It was barely daylight...I had arrived at the parking area on the Highland side around 7:30AM and there were already between 15 and 20 cars there.....By 11AM that day I would say that at least 400-500 people had walked across....

I had my tripod set up at a few different spots throughout that timeframe...shooting video with the tripod while shooting digital stills freehand.

Had conversations with a few railfans who'd walk up to me and we;s strike up conversations...
  by alewifebp

I made it early afternoon. Figured I'd get up there during the peak of leaf season. The bridge did not disappoint! Sweeping views to say the least.

They were offering a shuttle bus from the station to the bridge. And based on the number of people on the bridge, I think they had underestimated the popularity of the bridge. Alas, I drove, and had to walk nearly a mile on the Highland side from where I parked to the entrance. Traffic was backed up all along the road.

I was thinking the same thing, regarding the camera port holes, like they have at the Galitzin tunnel.
  by RussNelson

dwil89 wrote:Last Sunday was my first time up to the Highland area....I normally focus between Dunderberg Mountain
Oh! Speaking of which, can you share any photos of the Dunderberg Spiral Railway with me for publication here: http://russnelson.com/unfinished-railroads.html ?
...shooting video with the tripod while shooting digital stills freehand.

Had conversations with a few railfans who'd walk up to me and we;s strike up conversations...
Yeah, I had such a conversation. Tried to deny that he was a railfan, but I knew better. Had just a minor bit of foam around the lips. :) And a CSX hat. Dead give-away, that hat!
  by RussNelson

alewifebp wrote:And based on the number of people on the bridge, I think they had underestimated the popularity of the bridge. Alas, I drove, and had to walk nearly a mile on the Highland side from where I parked to the entrance.
Uh, yeah, just a bit!! I drove by later on Sunday and I saw zero parking within a mile of the bridge entrance. Just eyeballing it, there seemed to be about a thousand people on the bridge at 17:00. Of course, the day was beautiful, the sky blue, and the leaves colored.
  by DonPevsner

The quarter-century-long saga of financially-irresponsible owners of the Poughkeepsie Bridge, which began when then-Conrail Chairman and CEO L. Stanley Crane had it sold to a convicted-felon bank swindler from suburban Philadelphia named Gordon Schreiber Miller on November 2, 1984, continues past the Walkway's October 3, 2009 grand opening. Though everyone has been led to believe that the Bridge was conveyed to the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Development by the Walkway corporation on or about October 3, 2009, the facts are drastically-different. All that was conveyed to NYS was the eastern approach viaduct (2,640 feet long) over the City of Poughkeepsie. The Walkway corporation still owns the overwater portion of the Bridge proper (3,094 feet long) and its western approach viaduct (1,033 feet long). A Bill to authorize the New York State Bridge Authority to acquire the entire Bridge died in the last session, due to the "Senate leadership struggle" (this fascinating and disgraceful bit of news arrived from NYS Parks' Deputy Commissioner for Open Space Protection, Erik Kulleseid, in an email to me dated October 15, 2009). Mr. Kulleseid further stated, in an October 16, 2009 email to me, that conveyance to an appropriate New York State entity "will not happen before CY2010 or CY2011." In the interim, the Walkway corporation reportedly has a paltry few million dollars'-worth of liability insurance on the Bridge, and zero funds to provide future maintenance. It has obviously not occurred to anyone in NYS Government that the appropriate solution to the horrendous liability and maintenance-guarantee problem is to have the Walkway corporation convey the Bridge and its western approach viaduct to NYS Parks, which does NOT require Legislative approval. If this is done, the "deep pockets" of New York State will finally provide adequate liability on a structure of this magnitude, plus guarantee future maintenance of any kind, for the first time in 25 long years. After that, NYS Parks can re-convey it to the New York State Bridge Authority when the do-nothing NYS Legislature finally gets away from Byzantine political shenanigans and belatedly acts to protect the citizens of the Mid-Hudson region. Or, it can re-convey it to any other appropriate NYS entity. It is an amazing-but-true statement that New York State is far more vigilant in enforcing the NYS law that requires motor vehicle owners to maintain minimum liability insurance on all NYS-registered vehicles than it is with regard to mandating responsible liability insurance on the mammoth Poughkeepsie Bridge. Poughkeepsie and Highland residents are just damned lucky that an oceangoing freighter never collided with an unlighted Bridge pier between November 2, 1984 and whenever the Walkway group restored the Bridge's navigation lights after its own Bridge acquisition of June 5, 1998. They are also damned lucky that six abandoned and de-energized 115kv power lines, attached to the south side of the Bridge by Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corporation in 1949 and not maintained since 1985, did not collapse as a result of their 2,200-pound support brackets corroding. Had that occurred, the lines would have fallen across the busy CSX West Shore freight line, and possibly derailed HAZMAT cars into the adjacent Hudson River at a point directly across from the City of Poughkeepsie's drinking-water intake point. The U.S. Coast Guard levied over $500,000 in fines against the Miller corporation for permitting the Bridge's navigation lights to fail over an extended period, and could easily have foreclosed on the Bridge. However, everyone at the Federal level was terrified of assuming the liability. Similarly, Ulster and Dutchess Counties were owed $550,000 in unpaid taxes from the Miller corporation, and could also easily have foreclosed on it. But every single elected representative was similarly terrified of assuming the liability. This included then-Poughkeepsie Mayor Colleen Lafuente; State Senator Stephen Saland (as to New York State acquisition); Rep. Maurice Hinchey (as to Federal acquisition); the Ulster and Dutchess County Legislatures; plus non-elected, top officials at NYSDOT. (I should know, as I spoke to all of them several times over the years.) In my personal opinion, though they have achieved a real miracle with the new Walkway Over The Hudson, the Walkway group is fiscally insane to have assumed the liability and maintenance risk burdens on June 5, 1998, and permitted this enormous exposure to persist "until CY2010 or CY2011." Should any kind of disaster occur between now and total NYS Bridge acquisition, the individual Walkway group officers and directors will be sued personally for hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, along with their shell corporation (which has no assets but the negative-net-worth Bridge itself). And no one should buy the old saw that, "Nothing can now happen to the Poughkeepsie Bridge following the $38.8 million recently spent on Walkway construction." The Kinzua Viaduct, in northwestern Pennsylvania, was abandoned by the Erie Railroad in 1959 and became a Pennsylvania State Park (sound familiar?) in 1963. Rebuilt in 1900, it was 12 years newer than the Poughkeepsie Bridge, and even higher @ 301 feet above a wild, forested valley, though a good deal shorter @ 2,052 feet. On July 21, 2003, a tornado struck it and demolished most of it in less than thirty seconds, after it had stood for over a century. Clearly, no one but a large railroad corporation or a governmental entity of at least NYS-size should EVER be permitted to own a 121-year-old structure such as this. It is long-overdue that all of the Mid-Hudson region's elected representatives bestir themselves for something other than their re-elections, and put enough pressure on New York State to get the ENTIRE Poughkeepsie Bridge out of Walkway corporation ownership and into ownership by an appropriate NYS entity/entities at the earliest possible moment. Until then, a "Sword of Damocles" continues to hang over every resident of the area, and all commercial and pleasure traffic from the eastern bank of the Hudson River to the CSX West Shore freight line in Highland.
Last edited by DonPevsner on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by RussNelson

Don, directors of a New York State non-profit are substantially protected by law against suits brought against the corporation. In order to pierce the corporate veil, a plaintiff would have to prove malfeasance on the part of the directors. All that would happen from a lawsuit is that the paintiffs could be awarded ownership of the (as you put it) negative value of the bridge. Were I a director of the walkway non-profit, it wouldn't keep me up at night.
  by DonPevsner

RUSS: I am glad that you are so unconcerned about individual Walkway officers and directors being held personally liable for torts involving the Poughkeepsie Bridge, if the "corporate veil" is indeed pierced in litigation. I wouldn't be an officer or director of the Walkway group under such exposure for all the tea in China. But the main issue is not the risk to Walkway officers and directors, but the risk to the public if something drastic happens to the Poughkeepsie Bridge. Every politician guilty of nonfeasance in this amazing affair should be flogged.
  by Kurt

Photography of the eastern shore ( Metro North/ Amtrak) is difficult, but can be done.
I went on October 30, 2009 an overcast day, but the views were still spectacular. Here is a shot of Amtrak I got, in almost the same spot as njt/mnrrbuff

and one of Metro North's inspection train in Poughkeepsie,
  by Kurt

A couple of addition views , looking west on the bridge

and the Highland entrance to the bridge
  by Noel Weaver

Thanks for the great shots. I plan to walk this bridge tomorrow, it will be the first time that I have crossed this bridge since the fall of 1968.
Noel Weaver
  by lvrr325

DonPevsner wrote:RUSS: I am glad that you are so unconcerned about individual Walkway officers and directors being held personally liable for torts involving the Poughkeepsie Bridge, if the "corporate veil" is indeed pierced in litigation. I wouldn't be an officer or director of the Walkway group under such exposure for all the tea in China. But the main issue is not the risk to Walkway officers and directors, but the risk to the public if something drastic happens to the Poughkeepsie Bridge. Every politician guilty of nonfeasance in this amazing affair should be flogged.
So you've personally examined the supports of the bridge to see if they're suffering damage due to rust, corrosion and the like similar to the Kinuza Viaduct, which basically went without maintenance of any kind until it became too unstable for anyone to walk on, then still required a tornado (itself a rare event in upstate New York) to do it in?

When you do examine it note that it both suffered a fire many years ago and has been largely unmaintained since the mid-1960s (at best) itself.
  by DutchRailnut

RussNelson wrote:If you want to fit in, Noel, bring a camera and walk a dog. :-)
Wow hope he brings a dog , cause I hate to see Noel try to fit in with joggers in a skin tight running outfit :wink: :wink:
  by Noel Weaver

RussNelson wrote:If you want to fit in, Noel, bring a camera and walk a dog. :-)
I guess it will be a "half fit", I will bring my camera but my cat is not interested, he would rather just spend the day at the motel sleeping or doing whatever cats do when nobody
is around. Today is the day!!!!
Noel Weaver