• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Cosmo

VALE40 wrote:Does anyone have an update as to the status of 97? I understand that she was in the shop a little while ago to undergo an inspection to find out what needs to be done for her massive overhaul. How did the inspection go? Any photos?
I can tell you a little bit.
The evaluation of 97 continues. Everything that had to be done "in shop" to evaluate was done. Some ultra-sounding remains, however, the prognosis is good. The engine is certainly not "condemned" by any means, but outside of that, no official word or decision has yet been made, nor is any time-frame been set for the "real work" to begin.
What I can tell you is, it won't be soon. Most likely we will see #40 go in for her 1472 work to be split over a couple of winters, so she won't be out of service for long.
Meanwhile, 3025 is has gone from "teething pains" to "growing pains." She'll be getting love and care with tweeks, adjustments etc being made until she runs as well as 40.
97 will get it's turn, but it will be after more funds have been set-aside and more equipment makes it's way through the shop first. It is a "concern," but not a "priority"... yet. :wink:
For any other info, see the "Engine House Blog."
  by VALE40

Thanks for the info, good to hear! As for 3025, what are "growing pains" for steam locomotives these days? Since 3025 is on the newer side for steam locomotives operating in North America, her maintenance needs must be an interesting subject in terms of railroading since it has been awhile since a steam locomotive was broken-in in America.
  by shadyjay

Stopped by Essex on Easter Sunday to take some pictures. The first thing that got me was #97 right there on the front display track, where #103 had sat for so many years. It saddens me to see her there, but I have confidence that it won't be there forever. Track 7 was full of various freight cars, some freshly painted, plus a "parade of steam" at its south end. It was my first time seeing #3025 in person. Last time I saw her, she was nothing more than a rusty hulk of a burned out locomotive when she first came to Essex. The engine looks great, and I hope to be able to make it down there this summer to see her in action.

I'm guessing the circus train boxcar is one of the ex-MNCW/EL boxcars? (051 or 061) Also, what is the Lindsey (that blue sleeper?) being used for ? / what does its future hold?

I'll post some pictures when I get home to VT in a couple of days.
  by Cosmo

The blue circus car is a former MEC.
  by VALE40

Does anyone know if 3025 has any builder's plates affixed? I know 1647/142 has her TangShang plate on the left side of the boiler.
  by Cosmo

Yes, it has plates.
  by VALE40

Does anyone know what they look like or what they say? Last I saw 3025, she didn't have any builder's plates on the left or right of the boiler.
  by Cosmo

I can check this weekend, maybe get you a pic or two
  by VALE40

Any update on those builder's plates on 3025?
  by VALE40

After 3025's photoshoot will she be turned to face North or will she remain facing south?
  by Cosmo

I checked on the plates, they're not on the engine right now. I belive they're somewhere on property in safe keeping.