• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bshrdr

Went out last night to reshoot a shot I tried, and messed up, at Hadlyme Tuesday night. Ended up getting 3025 leading the second section of the North Pole Express northbound with something a little closer to what I had envisioned.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=383929

Thanks for looking!
Tom
  by ebtmikado

40 and 3025 at Essex station this past Tuesday afternoon:

Enjoy,
Lee
  by bshrdr

Made the hike into Deep River Creek bridge last night from Chester with Steve Barry and Mike Burkhart, and took a few shots of No. 40 running the two trains of the evening. Here's one shot, from the "wrong side" of the lights.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=385083

Well worth lugging all the light gear in...

Thanks for looking!
Tom
  by bshrdr

daylight4449 wrote:
ebtmikado wrote:Two-day steam photo charter May 21-22, using 3025, facing south.

http://lerroproductions.com/valleycharter2012.html

Lee
I wonder if through some strange circumstances that the same PW crew that turned the 3025 in the first place will be turning her for the photo charter ;)
Depends on when it happens, M-F, yep, it'll be NR-2 again. Otherwise, it'll more than likely be a spare board crew.
  by rwk

I have a few questions, are there any surviving depots north of Haddam? Is the line severed anywhere north of Haddam? There is a boat marina north of Haddam that the railroad ROW cuts across. Are the rails passable there? It appears from satellite maps that there are boats parked over the ROW. When the trains go to Old Saybrook, do they only go as far as the division point north of the wye? They used to have a shuttle train that could be boarded in Old Saybrook. Does the railroad ever plan to go further than Haddam?
  by shadyjay

On my last "inspection" of the rails north of Goodspeed (Route 82)...
..the line is cleared and passable to Midway Marina, north of MP 13
..Midway Marina was parking boats on the ROW, but pretty sure this has been stopped, as the Friends has started making their presence known up there
..there is a driveway backfilled over the tracks between the Marina and the high bridge near the "shad shack" along Route 154.
..no stations remaining at Arnolds, Haddam, or Walkeley Hill station sites
..there is a washout at a point near Higganum
..no station remaining at Higganum

Over the years, the FVRR has done tremendous work to make the line passable for high rail vehicles. Things have certainly changed since my first exploration of the line in '94 but there are many obstacles remaining.

And on the south end, trains can operate right to the Amtrak division post at MP 0, at Mill Rock Road West in Old Saybrook. We used to have to call Amtrak's Boston dispatcher if we were going south of the I-95 overpass - I'm guessing this still is the case. During the early 80s, there were regular Saybrook Shuttle trains which made a cross-platform connection at OSB with Amtrak trains. Last year, and again this year, the railroad is running Saybrook Specials at 10AM on the first weekend of each month from May through October. I think these are going all the way to MP 0.

Personally, I'd like to see the expansion of service NORTH of the present steam train stopping point in North Chester (CMX) on the 10AM train, but if you want the extra mileage to Goodspeed, you'll have to take the dinner train. Last I heard, the general consensus was that the ride is long enough as it is and any track usage north of Goodspeed would be relegated to special events only, therefore not a high priority for expansion.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

State did some aggressive weed control work on the OOS track this summer, so except for nicks and bruises from the October storm it should be well-cleared. The washout requires a new culvert. Driveway I think is some sort of temporary-permission thing (stopgap washout fix?). It would get done over as tie-in to the next adjacent private crossing if the line's reactivated. State put in a TIGER grant app to upgrade the whole line end-to-end to Class 2 standards for freight (primarily waste), but obviously low on the pecking order. $11M was the price for the inactive portion, but again that's not just a reopening but a full-on Class 2 upgrade.

Grant app does mention passenger service on the Valley to MIddletown, plus special-event service to Hartford as warranted. But you probably do have to get the whole thing 100% up to speed speed to make Old Saybrook-Middletown a tolerable trip.
  by superwarp1

shadyjay wrote:On my last "inspection" of the rails north of Goodspeed (Route 82)...
..the line is cleared and passable to Midway Marina, north of MP 13
..Midway Marina was parking boats on the ROW, but pretty sure this has been stopped, as the Friends has started making their presence known up there
..there is a driveway backfilled over the tracks between the Marina and the high bridge near the "shad shack" along Route 154.
..no stations remaining at Arnolds, Haddam, or Walkeley Hill station sites
..there is a washout at a point near Higganum
..no station remaining at Higganum

Over the years, the FVRR has done tremendous work to make the line passable for high rail vehicles. Things have certainly changed since my first exploration of the line in '94 but there are many obstacles remaining.

And on the south end, trains can operate right to the Amtrak division post at MP 0, at Mill Rock Road West in Old Saybrook. We used to have to call Amtrak's Boston dispatcher if we were going south of the I-95 overpass - I'm guessing this still is the case. During the early 80s, there were regular Saybrook Shuttle trains which made a cross-platform connection at OSB with Amtrak trains. Last year, and again this year, the railroad is running Saybrook Specials at 10AM on the first weekend of each month from May through October. I think these are going all the way to MP 0.

Personally, I'd like to see the expansion of service NORTH of the present steam train stopping point in North Chester (CMX) on the 10AM train, but if you want the extra mileage to Goodspeed, you'll have to take the dinner train. Last I heard, the general consensus was that the ride is long enough as it is and any track usage north of Goodspeed would be relegated to special events only, therefore not a high priority for expansion.
A couple of years back, the steam run to Goodspeed was the best trip I've taken in years. Wish they would do it again
  by bpiche84

Any word on if it will be the 3025 doing the 'Your Hand on the Throttle' days this year?