Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1024704  by northjerseybuff

With NS doing retro units, some on the EL mailing list have suggesting contacting Metro North over NJT in hopes of doing an EL inspired unit, as MN will be celebrating 30 years in 2013. Is MN friendlier when it comes to things like this? How did the NH paint end up on units east of hudson? or did CONN request that paint scheme?
 #1024719  by Ridgefielder

northjerseybuff wrote:With NS doing retro units, some on the EL mailing list have suggesting contacting Metro North over NJT in hopes of doing an EL inspired unit, as MN will be celebrating 30 years in 2013. Is MN friendlier when it comes to things like this? How did the NH paint end up on units east of hudson? or did CONN request that paint scheme?
All the units in the "NH" scheme- both the P32s and the BL20GH's-- are actually owned by the State of CT. The ConnDOT FL9's were restored to their original McGinnis colors when they were rebuilt in the mid-80's and apparently CDOT liked the look of it so much that they adopted it for all subsequent equipment. The Shore Line East GP's wear it, too. In fact, even the rolling stock on SLE wears a "New Haven" style paint job with a black window band and a block "NH" logo on one end.

(And yes, everyone, I realize that what the BL20GH's and the SLE rolling stock wears is not historically accurate: but then again since the NYNH&H had at least 6 different locomotive schemes in the roughly 30 years between the delivery of the first road units and the end of the company I think paint confusion is at least in the *spirit* of the New Haven ;-))
 #1024729  by blockline4180

If someone puts up $10 to $20 grand then I'm sure MTA should not have a problem with it!!! Anybody in here have that kind of money to spend next year??

If you want to do a EL unit, the best candidate would be the lone MN GP40PH-2
 #1024735  by SecaucusJunction

Freight railroads are non-subsidized companies that are making money like crazy right now. With the budget crisis that is all over the country right now, it would probably not be right for MNRR to unnecessarily spend their resources on it. MTA generally tries to get all it can out of the money it spends, so they've probably stretched their dollars as far as they can go right now. But as blockline says, if anyone wants to spend their own money on it, they'd probably listen.

At least they are opening up GCT for NTD. Maybe you can find some retro stuff there!
 #1024755  by Tadman

Interesting to think that MN/ConnDot have use the McGinnis look now for longer than McGinnis and NH used it. McGinnis arrived in 1954 and ordered the new look, while NH disappeared 15 years later into PC. MN/ConnDot repainted their FL9s to McGinnis orange around 1985, meaning we've had 25-ish years of McGinnis orange under MN/ConnDot.
 #1024763  by northjerseybuff

Well I took the time to write an email to MN and got a response stating they would forward it along to the appropriate management. Maybe if people on here took 5 min to write a letter like myself, they could possibly get a hint that there is an interest. Seriously..worth a shot..and easy to do!
 #1024782  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:Well I took the time to write an email to MN and got a response stating they would forward it along to the appropriate management. Maybe if people on here took 5 min to write a letter like myself, they could possibly get a hint that there is an interest. Seriously..worth a shot..and easy to do!
done!
 #1024827  by runningwithscalpels

northjerseybuff wrote: How did the NH paint end up on units east of hudson? or did CONN request that paint scheme?
CDOT owns those units and they're in pool service. In my limited experience, I've seen more CDOT Gennys in the NH scheme on Hudson and Harlem videos - than I've ever seen on the New Haven line :)
 #1024834  by kitn1mcc

i wish that CDOT would use some of the Other Schemes the Green and Gold was nice as well
 #1024882  by RearOfSignal

MNR painted two FL9s in the NYC lighting stripe scheme in late 90s. I wouldn't think this is out of the realm of possibility.
 #1024952  by DutchRailnut

Metro_North did not paint the FL-9's they were done for New York state as state sponsored the event for 100 year hudson whatever.
Both locomotives were due to be retired at that time(they did last about two years longer)
Metro North is in progress to paint their west of Hudson engines as part of overhaul
Changing that now would cost plenty money specially since MNCR specifies Imron paint or as someobe said a $20K paint job.
 #1025010  by blockline4180

$20,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of dollars the state and federal governments spend to research a way to save the termites!!

Plus doing a heritage unit would be good PR for everyone involved!
 #1025021  by Steve F45

blockline4180 wrote:$20,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of dollars the state and federal governments spend to research a way to save the termites!!

Plus doing a heritage unit would be good PR for everyone involved!
Would be nice to see, but I doubt it will happen. But ya never know.