Railroad Forums 

• Airport Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#19850  by Butlershops

Can you guys tell me if the Airport Line runs off the NEC and if it does from which interlocking?

No, I am not a terrorist. I work a different portion of the NEC and I'm just curious about the rest of the line.
 #19858  by probinson1974

The R-1 Deverges from the NEC at PHIL Interlocking

#19872  by queenlnr8

Corrent me if I am wrong, but isn't PHIL interlocking where the High Line comes back down and joins the NEC?

#19880  by glennk419

Queenlnr8,

I believe the interlocking you are referring to is Arsenal.

#19917  by Clearfield

Yes. If you want to rake a passenger train over the high line, you need to back down to PHIL and cross over.

#19933  by queenlnr8

Thanks guys. I couldn't remember the name of it. About how much further down the line is ARSENAL from PHIL?

#19956  by Clearfield

Arsenal is between PHIL and WALNUT

#20010  by jfrey40535

Why do the SEPTA Trains use the flyover for both inbound and outbound trips? I'm assuming its so it doesen't have to cross over Amtrak trackage since it runs every 30mins, but the return track looks like its never used.

#20030  by octr202

Why do the SEPTA Trains use the flyover for both inbound and outbound trips? I'm assuming its so it doesen't have to cross over Amtrak trackage since it runs every 30mins, but the return track looks like its never used.
Yup. Path of least resistance, in this case, is the path of least disruption to Amtrak...since there are no stations involved in the affected area.

#20296  by glennk419

The flyover is used to avoid having to enter Amtrak trackage at all. For all intents and purposes and despite any crossovers, it's two separate railroads at that point. The "return" track that leads to the northbound Amtrak rails is known as the Escape track and would only be used if the primary Airport line tracks were out of service. Even this doesn't happen very often as Septa "bustitutes" for Airport trains any time there is trackwork going on.

#20327  by SEPTALRV9072

I thought that interlocking was called BRILL Jct?

#20353  by jfrey40535

Amtrak at one point did run to the airport, did they not? When the Gambler's Express was still in operation?

I'm suprised NJT didn't express interest in taking that portion over.

#20443  by RDG-LNE

SEPTALRV9072 wrote:I thought that interlocking was called BRILL Jct?
"Brill" was the original loation where the West Philadelphia Elevated Branch (High Line) and the tracks of the NEC joined. "Arsenal" was where the tracks from Broad Street Station/Suburban Station joined the NEC. "Phil" was built shortly after Amtrak took over the NEC to allow for the airport connection and to neaten up the connections with Septa and Conrail. "Phil" never had a tower and was remoted from "Penn" until CETC took over in the late 80's. "Phil" to boil it down is just "Brill" moved about a mile north. "Phil" is a half interlocking, like "Baldwin" allowing Septa to go from track one over to track four and the Septa tracks. "Brill" was a complete interlocking meaning a train could be changed to any track from any track. The towers for "Brill" and "Baldwin" still stand on the east side of the tracks.

Drew

#20444  by RDG-LNE

jfrey40535 wrote:Amtrak at one point did run to the airport, did they not? When the Gambler's Express was still in operation?

I'm suprised NJT didn't express interest in taking that portion over.
The trains for Atlantic City did make a run through to the airport as an experiment in the early 90's. Ridership never caught on and Amtrak ended the service. Transit can't offer this service for legal reasons - it was a big fight for them to be allowed the run in to 30th Street with passengers.

Drew