Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1035715  by Clean Cab

The TLM is currently laying both new rails and new wooden ties on was is now "Industrial Track 5" eastward from CP 266. Once that is completed, the track will once again be know as "Track 3".
 #1035728  by Amtrak7

Clean Cab wrote:The TLM is currently laying both new rails and new wooden ties on was is now "Industrial Track 5" eastward from CP 266. Once that is completed, the track will once again be know as "Track 3".
But will that track be used in normal revenue service once it's upgraded?
 #1035819  by amm in ny

Anybody care to give a clue to the rest of us (we who haven't been breathlessly following this on webcam or Twitter) as to where this is exactly? E.g., which line, which towns it's near, etc.?
 #1035820  by Clean Cab

My mistake. This refers to the New Haven Line. Track 3 is being rebuilt and returned to serice as a passenger track for the new West Haven Station. Crews have already begun to install overhead wire on the track and it will also have an updated signal system installed on it.

For those that may not remember, track 3 was taken out of service as a passenger track in 1986 and the track 3 platform at Milford was moved south to occupy the space where the track was, leaving only three tracks through the area. It was felt at the time that there was no need for four tracks between New Haven and Devon (CP 271/CP 261). The track was redesignated "Industrial Track 5" and was used only by freight trains serving the many sidings in the area.
 #1035979  by andre

What type of speeds are to be expected through the area?

also when a change like this occurs how does it affect the PC qualifications of the crews is there a general bulletin or formal class?
 #1036001  by Clean Cab

The track speed will be the same as on tracks 1, 2 & 4 (75 MPH). When the track, overhead wire and signal work is complete, it will be returned to service via Bulletin Order and crews will not required any additional training.
 #1036057  by Amtrak7

I would assume the rehab is from the split point to NHV, not just from CP 266.

Any plans to extend it back to DEVON?
 #1036059  by Clean Cab

There are no plans to extend track 3 to CP 261 (Devon). That would involve relocating the track 1 platform at Milford Station which is not part of the West Haven Station budget.

However, Amtrak and CDOT reached an agreement that the roadbed will be kept at four track width from CP 271 to CP 261 in case Amtrak ever comes up with the $$$ to pay for the replacement of the track, overhead wire and signal system as well as paying for the relocating of the track 1 platform at Milford.
 #1036144  by F-line to Dudley via Park

There'd also be freight stakeholders to coordinate with the Amtrak considerations and finishing up other traffic-constraining construction projects like the cat replacement to make restoring the 4th track a priority. NH-Devon-Derby is the only 263K gap remaining on a giant U-shaped heavyweight route from Pittsfield to Danbury to Derby on Housatonic and Worcester to New London to Devon to Derby on P&W (they can do full 286K on the Shoreline and every-other-car 286K on their mainline). So things like getting the P&W main 100% uprated, the Shoreline bridge construction settled (less for weight constraints than the construction-related traffic pinches), and Housatonic's unreliability as an operator and track maintainer straightened out have to snap into focus before that's really got the max upside for every single party using that short stretch of NHL track.
 #1036197  by Patrick A.

Looking at a track map it appears that Track 5 runs just West of MP 65 and merges into Track 1 just West of the U.S. Motors freight siding. However, based on what I've been reading on here, the cat extension and such would only be to CP 266 WOODMONT, leaving a mile or so of Track 5 unpowered/non-passenger. Wouldn't it make more sense to install the upgrades to the end of Track 5 while you have all the equipment and personnel out there? I can't imagine the marginal cost would be that significant. Also from an RTC perspective, is that area being only 3 tracks a significant bottleneck on the NHL? I can imagine that once West Haven goes online then the new track would allow Amtrak trains to overtake in either direction but you still run into a three track problem for another 4-5 miles between Woodmont and Devon. I suppose what I am asking is, at some point will operations get to a point where 4 tracks will be absolutely necessary in that area, thus necessitating the total reconstruction of the Westbound platform at Milford?
 #1036209  by Clean Cab

That would require building a whole new interlocking at MP 65, which is not even a remote possibity. We're lucky enough just to get as much of track 3 back as is already being done at this time. Track 5 joins track 1 at MP 64.8 and is connected with only an electric lock siding switch. From MP 64.8 to MP 61 there is no track what so ever. Milford station prevents it from being extended to CP 261.