• Winter 2015 - MBTA Shutdown

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sixflagscoasters

I am not sure if this would work, but it seems like if the MBTA ran a full rush-hour service schedule for all subway and commuter lines while it was snowing hard (this would mean running 24hrs during the storms), then the trains would be doing the job of clearing the snow from the tracks.

I understand that the MBTA does not run 24hrs, and I don't think they will ever do that, or even have the funds to do so. But this would not be a permanent 24hr system. It would be temporary during the storms. This may not be practical, but just an idea.

I am not sure how easy this would be, but what if they ran normal service inside the tunnels, and rush hour service outside of the tunnels. And when service shuts down they should just run the trains back and forth inbound and outbound sides outside of the tunnels only. This way they run the trains non stop during the storm, and the snow does not have that much time to accumulate on the tracks.
  by BostonUrbEx

The trains can only push the snow so much. They'd be better off halting service prior to the peak of the storm and initiate a snow-removal blitz once they're on the tail end of the storm. Use plows -- preferrably rotary plows -- to throw the snow away form the tracks, then bring in flangers to scrape out the gauge, and finally ground crews to do the nitty gritty, such as the remaining switches.
  by MBTA3247

sixflagscoasters wrote:I am not sure if this would work, but it seems like if the MBTA ran a full rush-hour service schedule for all subway and commuter lines while it was snowing hard (this would mean running 24hrs during the storms), then the trains would be doing the job of clearing the snow from the tracks.

I understand that the MBTA does not run 24hrs, and I don't think they will ever do that, or even have the funds to do so. But this would not be a permanent 24hr system. It would be temporary during the storms. This may not be practical, but just an idea.

I am not sure how easy this would be, but what if they ran normal service inside the tunnels, and rush hour service outside of the tunnels. And when service shuts down they should just run the trains back and forth inbound and outbound sides outside of the tunnels only. This way they run the trains non stop during the storm, and the snow does not have that much time to accumulate on the tracks.
That's what they normally do during snowstorms. Normally, however, our snowstorms drop a few inches, not a few feet. At this point, with the fleet already crippled by traction motor failures, they don't want to risk losing any more equipment by doing that.
  by Bramdeisroberts

BostonUrbEx wrote:The trains can only push the snow so much. They'd be better off halting service prior to the peak of the storm and initiate a snow-removal blitz once they're on the tail end of the storm. Use plows -- preferrably rotary plows -- to throw the snow away form the tracks, then bring in flangers to scrape out the gauge, and finally ground crews to do the nitty gritty, such as the remaining switches.
I'm just going to add in that the NYC Subway, which has more underground system miles than Boston, SF, DC, Philly, and Chicago combined, and which runs most of its above-ground service on el's where drifting and snow accumulation is less of a concern, all in a location which typically sees significantly less snowfall than MA does, still has a fleet of multiple rotary plows and dedicated work trains (DIESEL POWERED work trains, not a rusting set of Eisenhower-era subway cars) for clearing snow from their rapid transit lines.

Now what does the MBTA, a system with extensive above-ground system miles where our trains run in glorified culverts where snow collects, in one of the snowiest major cities this side of Stockholm, Moscow, or Sapporo no less, have for ROW snow management?
  by Disney Guy

WatertownCarBarn wrote:Just came by Savin Hill; commuter line is relatively clear, but the Red line, both branches are covered. Only glimpses of third rail.
Wednesday morning ca. 9 AM. Radio news (WRKO) reporting Quincy line out of service due to snow and bustitution in effect. Did they finish the snow cleanup job by Wednesday at dawn given that much was undone late afternoony on Tuesday?

Are rotating cylindrical bristle brushes with the horizontal axle almost perpendicular to the rails, like on old trolley sweepers, effective for clearing third rail lines?
  by emannths

Komarovsky wrote:Oh believe me, this is one of the few times I'm happy that I get on in Worcester. Cant wait watch from my seat at the the faces of indignation and rage at the Wellesleys and Newtons when the conductors tell them that there's no room on 508 tomorrow.
Managed to squeeze onto 508 at Wellesley Sq this morning. Made lots of close friends. :wink:

They really couldn't shuffle coaches to get higher-capacity consists for today? If I recall, 508 was its usual 2-flat 4-bilevel. They couldn't have make it 6 (or more) bilevel? They're not short coaches are they? Or is this because of a shortage of time/space/power in the yard?
  by deathtopumpkins

The T's operational plan for the Orange Line this morning was to run a single shuttle train on the SB track between Wellington and Oak Grove, but it appears as of 10:30 they've given up on that, and switched to just shuttle buses.