• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gregorygrice

Matt Johnson wrote:Are we almost through the baggage car order yet? Would sure be nice to see some sleepers and diners!
Should be one more full baggage delivery after this one.
  by ApproachMedium

I want to know when the diners will come. These old diners are literally falling apart. One got shopped the other day I think because the truck actually broke in half or something.
  by Greg Moore

ApproachMedium wrote:I want to know when the diners will come. These old diners are literally falling apart. One got shopped the other day I think because the truck actually broke in half or something.

My COMPLETE guess is that we might get 1-2 this year for testing, but nothing for real until 2016. That's my guess though. Nothing to substantiate it though.
  by ApproachMedium

I hope its sooner than later. If another diner craps out, another train is going to loose dining car service.
  by afiggatt

Greg Moore wrote: My COMPLETE guess is that we might get 1-2 this year for testing, but nothing for real until 2016. That's my guess though. Nothing to substantiate it though.
The FY15 budget and Five Year Financial Plan released in February stated for the Viewliner IIs "Deliveries of additional cars began in the First Quarter of FY15, and the final unit will be delivered by the end of April 2016." So, if CAF and Amtrak are still on that schedule, I would think diners would have to start shipping this fall. However staying on schedule has not been an positive attribute of the CAF contract.
  by Gilbert B Norman

From Crowne Plaza Piitter Salzburg--

One must wonder if the timing of the Star's F&B "experiment" was prompted in some part by availability of equipment.
  by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:From Crowne Plaza Piitter Salzburg--

One must wonder if the timing of the Star's F&B "experiment" was prompted in some part by availability of equipment.
Makes both operational and fiscal sense (potentially).
  by Greg Moore

gokeefe wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:From Crowne Plaza Piitter Salzburg--

Makes both operational and fiscal sense (potentially).

Oh, I don't doubt it was.
  by west point

Any hope for V-2 diners before Star "experiment " ends is highly suspect. Suppose 10 V-2 bags are delivered this week. That means ~ 1 every 8 calendar days or 6 business day per car. 12 bags to go would be a final delivery of bags might be November. In service diners by Jan 31st ? Too close for comfort.
Any one know what happened to the 4 net diners taken off the STAR ?
  by SwingMan

If you pay attention to what Approach says, the diners are literally becoming a hazard to service.

As for the new diners, I would not be surprised if we don't see them until the spring 2015. Bringing new cars into service in December-March is playing with fire (or ice if you want to get literal). It is becoming fairly obvious they are dragging out delivery of all of these cars over a long period of time.
  by Matt Johnson

I would hope that complete or nearly complete diners and sleepers are starting to accumulate at the CAF factory as the baggage cars get delivered. Surely at this point work on those cars must be at a fairly advanced stage I would think.
  by Greg Moore

west point wrote:Any hope for V-2 diners before Star "experiment " ends is highly suspect. Suppose 10 V-2 bags are delivered this week. That means ~ 1 every 8 calendar days or 6 business day per car. 12 bags to go would be a final delivery of bags might be November. In service diners by Jan 31st ? Too close for comfort.
Any one know what happened to the 4 net diners taken off the STAR ?

Well, keep in mind, my understanding is there are two lines going at once, right now both dedicated to baggage cars. And they only pick up cars when they have enough and probably when they're ready to accept them.

It could be the next 12 baggage cars are a week from now, or a month from now.

I think it's hard to guess.

But I'd guess you're not far from the mark.
  by gokeefe

Probably another $1,000,000/year in positive cash flow from savings for Amtrak rolling right along there. Great stuff.