• Vehicular Traffic at Secaucus?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by F40

When will Secaucus be open to vehicular traffic? I think NJT proposed this while SJ was under construction, and even one driveway with the sign SECAUCUS JUNCTION overhead is paved, but not in use.

If so, which bus routes will serve SEC and is there an easy way to get to County Rd. via the station?

by Irish Chieftain

You know...before SJ opened, the talk was that it was intended to be a pure "transfer station" as EWR is—sealed off from the public and only having passengers move between trains on different lines. Of course, with the closure of Harmon Cove due to the (IMHO absurd) realigning of the BCL, the station now became the sole rail station serving Secaucus. As for the parking situation, don't know if that's changed, but when the whole Allied Junction Complex was planned, the only parking was to have been for office employees (so much for encouraging use of the station by them).

The bus routes that serve Secaucus are routes 2 (Jersey City), 78 (Newark), 87 (Union City, Hoboken), 129 (PABT) and 190 (Paterson, Clifton, Passaic, Rutherford, PABT). Of those, it would be routes 2 and 129 that I see running to the train station.

by F40

So does either 2 or 129 stop at the Post office on County Rd?

by BigDell

If you drive the NJTurnpike next to the station you can't miss the bridge abutments being built that will carry some roadway OVER the NJTurnpike by the station.
I'm guessing that will be the access? It looks odd though.... Anyone else notice this?
BigDell

by Sirsonic

Secacus is open to vehicle traffic. The enterance is located off County Rd, however, there is no parking. There is only an area to pick up and drop off passengers. The Buses also serve the station directly in a seperate bus loop located off the same driveway. For what its worth, I believe the driveway is actually called Laurel Hill Drive.

by F40

How about the bus question?

by Irish Chieftain

Dunno about the bus question. (Besides, we usually talk trains here, not buses...ya know, Railroad.net?) :wink: You can try this forum; someone might know there...

by Rivetjoint

Just curious - does anybody actually call SJ "Lautenberg Station"? I
must have really been out of touch to just find out about the "official"
name of SJ. Looks like that name is about as popular as Newark
LIBERTY Airport.