• Various questions on HO detailing projects

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ANDY117

Im new to this forum. I have been modeling HO for 10 years. And i have been thinking of some projects i could do, bur need parts for

Metro-North GP-35R, what paint? I'm going to use the new athearn RTR model Also, who makes the horns in HO?
Susquehanna SD-45/ F45 where are the air horns, and what colors should i use?
CP Rail GP38-2 and SD40-2 Horn types and locations.
Operating HO scale canadian type ditch lights.
Metro north FL9's F10's and M-series.
What paint looks like that on NS diesels?
Erie Semaphores like Endicott's
Upgrading Walthers Horizon cab cars and coaches (MN, and NJT)
What horns are on NYSW dash 8's?
Who makes the horns on NS Dash 9'sin HO? (K5LA i think)

-Andy Bohman

by ANDY117

When i drove over Binghamton Yard last night. I saw a little blue light above the front truck. What was this? Can i model this in HO?
  by Tom Curtin

It is possible what you saw is just that --- a "blue light," which the rulebook specifies be mounted on standing equipment which maintence personnel are working on. If I'm right, this is not part of the engine.

by ANDY117

i thought it might be a LSL light or something.

by trainiac

It seems to me that engines have lights mounted above the front trucks anyway, but not blue.

I'm familiar with the "to-do" business--3 shells all stripped at least a year ago, all still awaiting paint, and 2 chassis awaiting shells... Anyhow, to answer a few questions:
CP Rail GP38-2 and SD40-2 Horn types and locations.
Miniatures by Eric "H1" horn is an accurate representation of the Nathan K3HR2, the horn used by CN and CP. CP's GP38-2's and SD40-2's have the horn mounted behind the dynamic brakes, on the left side of the hood (it was originally on the cab, though).
What horns are on NYSW dash 8's?
Nathan K5HR24, a very beautiful horn! Miniatures by Eric "H38" horn is almost accurate except for having all bells facing forward (it's called a "BCR horn", but it actually is a Nathan K5H).
Who makes the horns on NS Dash 9'sin HO? (K5LA i think)
Miniatures by Eric "H37" horn is also called a "BCR horn" (K5L) but it's actually a closer representation of the K5LA.

I might as well indicate the Miniatures by Eric website, from which you can order directly:

http://www.miniaturesbyeric.com/itmidx8.htm

by ANDY117

What about the K5's from OMI and Details West?

by ANDY117

Also. measurements from the side, Dynamic Brake blister. etc. Why do some of the trucks on CP SD40-2's have the first and last bearing visible? Any models of these?

by ANDY117

Details West makes the K5RH24. OMI makes the CSX/NS K5LA.
Miniatures By eric, AND OMI make the CP/CN ditch lights.

by trainiac

Why do some of the trucks on CP SD40-2's have the first and last bearing visible? Any models of these?
I think these are later versions of the HTC similar to those on the SD50/SD60. Athearn SD50 sideframes would be accurate, if you can get them.

by astrosa

HTC sideframes with exposed roller bearings are available from Smokey Valley (formerly sold by Train Station Products and Detail Associates - they're all basically part of the same company). These parts are designed to fit on Athearn SD40-2 trucks. Also, you could just get sets of the roller bearing caps themselves and modify the original sideframes to accept them.

Since Athearn doesn't seem to want to sell parts from their newer models, the above methods are probably the way to go.

by ANDY117

Thanks, I'm updating a CP SD40-2, and these look to be more modern.