• Utica Schuyler Street Tower DL&W

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by Cactus Jack

Is there anyone out there that has copies of DL&W Employee Timetables for 1948-50 that can look up to see when the "elevated cabin" appears ?

It is referenced in TT #102 under special instructions - grade crossings - Utica Branch on Page 211. So, it was there in 1952. Speculation was it was elevated CA 1948-49 just after the street trackage was relaid with 118 lb rail. In earlier days the cabin was at ground level and there may have been gates instead of a traffic signal at Whitesboro Street.

Any help is appreciated
  by henry6

Checked quickly through #100, June 1951, and found no refrences. Will check deeper later. I don't believe I have any other close to that date.
  by henry6

Rechecked #100 and found no reference to Schuyler St. either in Highway Crossings or Railroad Crossings' Special Instruction pages.

And by the way, #100 is in fact September 30, 1951. And my next one earlier is from 1943.

by Cactus Jack

Thnks for checking Henry6. Just to be sure, in the TT 102, the tower is listed under grade Crossings, Utica Branch - Utica but does not reference Schuyler but is listed under Noyes, Warren, Columbia and Whitessboro Streets and referred to as an elevated cabin 100 feet north of Whitesboro Street Watchman on duty daily 24 hours.

What is referenced in TT 100 for these crossings ?
How about 1943 ?
  by henry6

Only two streets listed for Utica under "Special Protectin of Highway Crossings": Oswego St. and Oriskany St. with no further comments except that the heading references "General Instructions 66" and "See Rule687A".

Went to next table I have, 116, and the elevated cabin is referenced. Couple all this together and I believe sometime in the summer of '52 that cabin was elevated. In effect we need to find table 101 to confirm it.

by Cactus Jack

That seems to narrow it down to the 1951 -52 time period. Thanks for checking !
  by henry6

Yeah. #100 is dated September 1951. So, unless #101 is dated for October Daylight Savings Time it is probably April 1952 and #102 is dated Sept. or Oct. 1952. I would think that the erecting took place probably in the summer of '52 and would be found in Bullitens from that time.