• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by johnpbarlow

So now that upstate NY received 30" of snow courtesy of Stella, it will be telling when NYSW gets around to plowing the Utica branch for its next use.
  by Rail Trails Fail

johnpbarlow wrote:So now that upstate NY received 30" of snow courtesy of Stella, it will be telling when NYSW gets around to plowing the Utica branch for its next use.
I think you will sooner see that snow melt than see NYSW plow between the forks and sangerfield. There just isn't the revenue to do it.
  by lvrr325

Probably no need to do so, the snow will be pretty well gone in a couple of weeks.
  by johnpbarlow

lvrr325 wrote:Probably no need to do so, the snow will be pretty well gone in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully the deep snow will melt slowly avoiding flooding and washouts.
  by NYS&W142Fan

Trust me, if they needed to run a revenue train up the line, they would plow it.
  by ricky

this really a sad the tracks are fix not being use I hope something big happens to get this line up and running again
  by SemperFidelis

Probably the biggest thing that could realistically happen would be for New York to change its views on shale gas exploration. The Marcellus basically, very loosely that is, is present and explorable from the Thruway south and west from Albany.

New York has a pretty decent history of switching parties in the Governor's office, so it's not impossible.
  by Rail Trails Fail

SemperFidelis wrote:Probably the biggest thing that could realistically happen would be for New York to change its views on shale gas exploration. The Marcellus basically, very loosely that is, is present and explorable from the Thruway south and west from Albany.

New York has a pretty decent history of switching parties in the Governor's office, so it's not impossible.
While explorable i have heard from friends in the industry that it's not cost effective until you get to the southern tier which would likely take this line out of play. There are no major sand pits along this line to source from as well so even if it did pass you would likely see more materials coming in off the syracuse line or from ns southern tier line.
  by SemperFidelis

The sand comes from the west and south anyway, and then gets transloaded onto trucks...so it's possible, though not likely unless drilling moves north. We can always hope.

Right now, even if NY did a sudden reversal, no drilling would happen for quite some time. Prices are too low to make much shale exploration really profitable.

I used to work in fracking sand and the drillers I talked to were pretty bullish on New York...if prices stayed at $100 a barrel AND all the good sites in central PA were taken.

As an electric car driver and an annoyingly liberal person (see? It's okay to make fun of one's own politics, people! :-D ) I like high priced gas so I can look down my nose at SUV drivers when they are cursing at the pump. As a good American, I like it that poor and middle class people have more disposable income now than they did two years ago. As a complete hypocrite who loves his old 1993 Chevy Caprice with an LT1 in it...yeah, cheap gas is nice sometimes.

Edit: back on topic...

The Raymond Corporation probably makes heavy electric material handling equipment that is battery powered. Batteries, being ridiculously heavy, are commonly shipped by rail I have heard. Perhaps there is an opportunity there.

I recall from ages ago an old section of the Erie in New York that was little more than a stub off of the NYS&W. It served a little factory that made electric powered things like golf carts. I can't imagine what the railroad would have been bringing there aside from batteries, so perhaps...
  by ut-1

Weather conditions in the Utica area on Feb 20, 2015 were brutal, with gusty winds & temps barely above zero.

Nevertheless, UT-1 left Utica with 5 covered hoppers for Sangerfield.

Unfortunately, due to snow & ice on the rails, and despite the crew's best efforts, they only made it about 4 miles out of Utica. Had to tie the hoppers down on the main and 3040 proceeded light to Sangerfield to open the line.

This short (just over a minute) "photo video" catches 3040 leaving its hoppers and heading towards Washington Mills. A few photos also included in Sauquoit with the final set showing 3040 in Paris Station, atop the railroad's 1.8% grade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RvPAJ8CXI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by milkman

I guess we will see if the crew did a good job restoring the railroad with all this rain and flooding we're having right now and more rain in the forecast.
It would be a real bummer if it washed out again before they ran the 1st train.
  by Rail Trails Fail

I saw on the facebook page the other day that there is already a crossing in oxford that got pretty banged up due to a plow and the rail will need to be repaired.
  by ginosrailpage

Wouldnt they want to run from Bingo to Utica, instead of Bingo to Syracuse and East to Utica? I thought that's why they were doing this?
  by ricky

I just wonder after all that rain we had if their reports of damage or washouts on this line. south of sheburne to Chenango forks?
  by milkman

ricky wrote:I just wonder after all that rain we had if their reports of damage or washouts on this line. south of sheburne to Chenango forks?
I haven't heard of any damage done from the flooding and I heard on the radio today that all that is left to do to put the line back in service is to reactivate the signals.