• Using Stony Brook Branch for CR

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by tpsmyth01

All,

I am curious as to whether there has been any discussion about using the Stony Brook Branch for commuter service in light of the CSX takeover of PAR. I believe the MBTA has both trackage and purchase rights to the branch, however, it does badly need upgrades. If upgraded would the Stony Brook provide any advantage running from Ayer to Boston via Lowell. Off the top of my head I would have to say far fewer grade crossings when combined with the Lowell line? Possibility of stops in Westford and North Chelmsford?

Any additional thoughts or something I have missed?
  by Rockingham Racer

I think there was a proposal in the not-too-distant past to run some trains that way to North Station. Don't know if I'm dreaming, or not. But with the whole concept taking shape now of "regional" rail vs. "commuter" rail, it might be interesting to run a service Providence-Worcester-Ayer-Lowell-Lawrence-Haverhill.

Back in the day, the highway planners evidently thought I-495 was needed, and judging from rush hour traffic on it in certain areas, they were correct. Question is: would this passenger rail service be worth the investment.
  by tpsmyth01

I believe the B&M passenger service that ran over the line back in the 1950s was a Lowell-Worcester train.
  by neman2

I believe there are numerous undergrade bridges over both roads and waterways on this line that are in poor condition and are in need of serious rehab. Add to this a need for the addition of a second track for almost the entire length, I think this is not viable.

Look at this bridge in Westford, I don't think the T or CSX would be happy with it.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5928558 ... 1664?hl=en
  by The EGE

Right now, trains that express to/from South Acton can make the 36-mile Ayer–North Station trip in about 55 minutes (39 mph), which is about as fast as they were in 1946, with locals clocking in around 1:10 (31 mph). Lowell locals are currently about 47 minutes (32 mph), again same as 1946; the fastest one-stop expresses hit 35 minutes (44 mph). The State of Maine ran nonstop between Ayer and Lowell in 26 minutes (32 mph), with locals taking 36 minutes (23 mph). So no, there's not time savings to be found; the Stony Brook is too curvy and indirect. North Chelmsford, the only significant population on the line, is better served by service to Nashua and beyond.

There is certainly demand for Providence–Worcester service connecting two major cities. Is there enough demand for Worcester–Ayer–Lowell–Lawrence–Haverhill service? I don't know. Worcester–Lowell local service lasted until 1953, while Lowell–Lawrence local service ended in the 1930s (probably 1932). There's not a lot of population density outside the four main cities.
  by stevefol

Am I right in thinking this branch is actually being used by Keolis to move trains to the Fitchburg line? I've seen a couple of double-drafts in the last week on the Lowell line, and assumed that was the reason, given the closure of the southern end for PTC installation.
  by Trinnau

Yes, as stated by the OP the MBTA has trackage rights to make such moves. PTC shutdown is sending non-revenue movements this way right now.
  by budd6209

Back when Boston And Maine was running the Commuter Rail they ran one train out to Fichtburg in the morning with passengers. Then they ran shutttles between Fitchburg and South Acton. This was in the 80s but I do not know when it was. This was because they where working on single track in Waltham during the day time.
  by Red Wing

Watched the T come off the wye towards Lowell today.
  by charlesriverbranch

Where exactly is the Stony Brook branch? Google drew a blank, and I've been looking at openrailwaymap.org for lines that might be it but can't identify any likely suspects.
  by alewife

The Stony Brook connects the Fitchburg Line at Willows (junction east of Ayer station) to the New Hampshire Main/Lowell Line at North Chelmsford. It is owned by Pan Am, which uses it as part of their freight mainline between Ayer and Portland.
  by The EGE

North Chelmsford to Willows (just east of Ayer).