• US economy/railroad industry

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Ballaz

I would like to know some opinions about the current US economy situation.The Euro is gaining advantage,the dollar is going down.

The question is:Will this have any impact on railroad industry?

by UPRR engineer

Think this more for the Operations Forum.

Im sure its gonna hit us here soon. Save your money and start getting ready.

by thebigc

UPRR engineer wrote:Think this more for the Operations Forum.

Im sure its gonna hit us here soon. Save your money and start getting ready.
As you wish...

by UPRR engineer

Thanks dude

by Ballaz

i'm from europe and we are starting to feel the effects here. Fuel price mainly...so,how is it going to be on railroad?

by UPRR engineer

This place (USA) is gonna crumble i think. It might take awhile. If your not stocking up on ammo and putting food up, it might be pretty rough. I'd say more about oil but people think im crazy, (on a scale of 1 to 10) lets say we're at a 1 right now, id like it to hurry up and jump to a 4 or 5 real quick. See what happens.

As far as moving stuff in this country things are ok for now, smaller trucking outfits are starting to fold. Good for the railroads i guess. Everyones big on saving fuel.

by Otto Vondrak

"Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?"

American railroads are getting more and more traffic as people come to realize that the railroad is the best way to move a lot of stuff from Point A to Point B. Now we are facing a bottleneck because over the last 35 years or so railroads got rid of their excess capacity due to the tax situation. Now they are trying to double and triple track certain corridors and running into local opposition. What's more, our government refuses to adopt a national transportation policy. We keep getting oblique references to "private capital," in other words, the government is more than willing to subsidize airlines and highways, but railroads are on their own.

Combine all those factors, and we're heading for a major crisis in the next 10 to 15 years.

But when gasoline reaches $9.79 a gallon, I'm going up to my friend's cabin in the deep woods, with some protection pointed the other way! ;-)

-otto-

by slchub

I find it interesting that the Class 1's are looking at placing ports in Mexico to offload the containers from China and move them north to the US. I am waiting for the day when nothing is made in the US anymore and China finally says okay, pay up now, nothing is cheap anymore. Without factories and the skilled labor here in the US we will deff. be screwed.

by scharnhorst

slchub wrote:I find it interesting that the Class 1's are looking at placing ports in Mexico to offload the containers from China and move them north to the US. I am waiting for the day when nothing is made in the US anymore and China finally says okay, pay up now, nothing is cheap anymore. Without factories and the skilled labor here in the US we will deff. be screwed.
The true sleeping giant I beleve is eastern europe countrys like Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, and outher bloc countrys where chinese investors have been ban from entering into these countries and beleve me they don't go there knowing that the'll more than likley be found dead. These countrys may not be 100% back on there feet but from what I saw there rebuilding at a vary fast rate. I seemed to notice how everything is keeped in house on an industrial level. Jobs apear to be everywhere and growing with a good turn over of newer jobs and factorys comeing in almost every month. I could see a few vary big rivals that could send China back into the stone age on the industrial game in the next few years.
  by 2nd trick op

There is a paralell discussion, recently moved from the Amtrak to the Worldwide forum, which may be of interest to some of the participants here.

Here's a Link: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49737

by Ballaz

So, after a few comments i ask: where are US railroads going to?i mean, i want to emmigrate there to get a better life and suddenly i hear that US is about to enter on bankruptcy...i think i'll go to spain,lol

by scharnhorst

Ballaz wrote:So, after a few comments i ask: where are US railroads going to?i mean, i want to emmigrate there to get a better life and suddenly i hear that US is about to enter on bankruptcy...i think i'll go to spain,lol
I here France has no national debt eather so they say.

by Otto Vondrak

Ballaz- unless your question is about railroads, we really can't help you besides personal opinion. The railroad industry in America is stronger than ever. If you want to come here and earn a living and contribute your fair share to society, welcome aboard...

-otto-

by Ballaz

Ballaz- unless your question is about railroads, we really can't help you besides personal opinion. The railroad industry in America is stronger than ever. If you want to come here and earn a living and contribute your fair share to society, welcome aboard...
Thank you!

by mxdata

Nobody wants a factory next door, nobody wants a refinery next door, nobody wants a railroad next door. But everybody wants the benefits of economic prosperity.

If the recession is long enough and deep enough, perhaps the anti-business attitudes will start to change. But it may be too late altogether, in some manufacturing sectors there are almost no companies left in the US that are building some types of products. You can't very well expect "buying American" to help restore the economy when there are no US built goods to purchase.

MX