• URHS of NJ Preservation News

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Steve F45

i know someone said the U34CH isn't a priority, but what about getting it out of where it is atleast and over to Boonton?
  by larry1090

[quote="Jtgshu"]Whoa!!! That stainless is SHINY!!! hahaha

The locos look great!

The Reading loco is the former NJT F7, 417? maybe? Quite a drastic change since I saw it last! (its NJT 424 here is a link of it.

http://www.urhs.org/pictures/reading_284.jpg

Builder: Electro-Motive Division (General Motors)
Model: F7A
Builder's Numbers: 8552
Built: October 1949
Horsepower: 1500
Original Owner: Chicago & Northwestern RR, Nos. 4074A, nee 424
History:NJ Transit acquired this locomotive from the C&NW in 1983 and utilized it as No. 424 primarily from Hoboken to Dover and Waldwick. It was retired in 1985, stored and donated to the museum collection in 1991. It is being restored to represent a Reading Company locomotive of the same type that operated through central New Jersey between Jersey City, Port Reading and points south and west.

I know its a whole other can of worms, but how are those locos, especially the E8s, mechanically?

The NJDOT E-8 from what they say will Run , it pulled the Funeral train for the cars and engs. when they were put in storage from what i was told. the covers were on the stacks and are still covered. So i am guessing what ever Prep work you would have to do to "wake"them up, she should run with what ever is needed. i know as of now there not going to try and start them unless they can find someone to lease them.

E-8 NJT 4326 will never run unless you drop new motors in them and what ever else has to be replaced.
Not sure on the other 2 E-8's i can find out on Sat when i am back in the yard.

Larry
  by larry1090

Steve F45 wrote:i know someone said the U34CH isn't a priority, but what about getting it out of where it is atleast and over to Boonton?

wish I had an answer for you on when its going to get moved. we have very little free space in the yard right now. but i keep asking the higher ups and no word yet sorry

Larry
  by larry1090

There will be a work session this Sat in the yard starting @ 9:30 Am.
Will be working on the E8 installing the grills. Also working on cleaning the cabs in the F7 and E8 and GG1
Hope to see all that can make it.

Larry
  by FullScale4Me

FullScale4Me wrote:https://www.facebook.com/UnitedRailroad ... ocietyofNJ
Lots of new pictures have been posted to the URHS of NJ facebook page (link above) since it was created on August 6th 2012. Please have a look!!! Not all of the pictures are owned by the URHS --- so cross posting {here} isn't possible, sorry!

More about the Festival http://www.urhs.org/

1st Annual NJ Transportation Heritage Festival
Sponsored by the United Railroad Historical Society of NJ
Sunday, Sept 16, 2012 Rain or Shine 10 am - 5 pm
  by larry1090

larry1090 wrote:There will be a work session this Sat in the yard starting @ 9:30 Am.
Will be working on the E8 installing the grills. Also working on cleaning the cabs in the F7 and E8 and GG1
Hope to see all that can make it.

Larry

For thoses who will be at the yard this Sat., if you have a chain saw Please bring it. We will need it, had a tree fall.

Thanks,

Larry
  by larry1090

work session in progress , working on E-8
  by FullScale4Me

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED for URHS Open House in Boonton Sunday 9/16

UPDATED!

Hello all! The URHS is holding another Open House in the Boonton Yard (100 Morris Ave) on Sunday September 16. Once again, WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! :-)

There will be set-up to be done Saturday during the day: Tables, Chairs, grills, food prep., etc. Then Sunday we need people to be available to cook & serve food, man the yard and equipment, greet visitors, etc. If you are available one day or even part of the day we would love you see you!

Please email us with any availability you may have as we need to have name tags for the Volunteers on Sunday. Please let us know by Wednesday so we have time to prepare.

This should be a lot of fun and a great publicity for all the groups involved in the URHS. Hope to see a lot of you there!

Pete Hasler - [email protected] and Frank Reilly - [email protected]

PS: You DO NOT need to to be a member of any URHS group to volunteer! (PS added by URHS webmaster) MORE INFO
  by cjvrr

Here, here! for the open house. It was a nice venue and plenty of stuff to look at and positioned for viewing.
  by Ken S.

cjvrr wrote:Here, here! for the open house. It was a nice venue and plenty of stuff to look at and positioned for viewing.
I agree, NJT4272's horn shows were interesting. Just wish there were some more buses though. But, I think the bus people were short on drivers or something and they had sent 2 buses to the SEPTA Roadeo the day before. I picked up some old NJT schedules and a 1978 Southern Crescent schedule. They did a great job on the NJDOT E8 and 4877 and the cameo by H-02 (I saw them while crossing the bridge walking from the Lakeland bus to the venue) was unexpected.

What are the future plans for painting 4326 and 4879?
  by NJT4272

Ken S. wrote: I agree, NJT4272's horn shows were interesting.
Oh, why THANK YOU!

As everyone can see, I'll find any excuse to blow the horns! Even returning to Boonton for the first time in over 3 years!
  by Ken W2KB

NJT4272 wrote:
Ken S. wrote: I agree, NJT4272's horn shows were interesting.
Oh, why THANK YOU!

As everyone can see, I'll find any excuse to blow the horns! Even returning to Boonton for the first time in over 3 years!
And thank you for bringing the horns! I had a long standing commitment to be brakeman on the BR&W great train robbery trains so could not attend. Would have been nice to talk again. Take care.
  by kilroy

There seemed to be good crowds there most of the afternoon. Nice to see 4877 looking like new again.

Many thanks to Frank and all the other volunteers, especially those manning the grills, for a job well done.
  by cnj1524

[quote="larry1090"][quote="Jtgshu"]Whoa!!! That stainless is SHINY!!! hahaha

The locos look great!

The Reading loco is the former NJT F7, 417? maybe? Quite a drastic change since I saw it last! (its NJT 424 here is a link of it.

http://www.urhs.org/pictures/reading_284.jpg

Builder: Electro-Motive Division (General Motors)
Model: F7A
Builder's Numbers: 8552
Built: October 1949
Horsepower: 1500
Original Owner: Chicago & Northwestern RR, Nos. 4074A, nee 424
History:NJ Transit acquired this locomotive from the C&NW in 1983 and utilized it as No. 424 primarily from Hoboken to Dover and Waldwick. It was retired in 1985, stored and donated to the museum collection in 1991. It is being restored to represent a Reading Company locomotive of the same type that operated through central New Jersey between Jersey City, Port Reading and points south and west.

I know its a whole other can of worms, but how are those locos, especially the E8s, mechanically?

he NJDOT E-8 from what thTey say will Run , it pulled the Funeral train for the cars and engs. when they were put in storage from what i was told. the covers were on the stacks and are still covered. So i am guessing what ever Prep work you would have to do to "wake"them up, she should run with what ever is needed. i know as of now there not going to try and start them unless they can find someone to lease them.

E-8 NJT 4326 will never run unless you drop new motors in them and what ever else has to be replaced.
Not sure on the other 2 E-8's i can find out on Sat when i am back in the yard.

Larry[/quote]
When the so called funeral train was put at PSE&G E8 4253 was towed in by NJT GP40P & SW1500, it wasnt running,going back lol 24 years ago