Railroad Forums 

• Update CREATE

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1576271  by lpetrich

dgvrengineer wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:26 pm Six axle locomotives can negotiate a 6% curve at slow speeds without any problems. Many wye tracks at junctions are around 6% and freight trains regularly travel over them usually with a 10mph or so speed limit.
I was talking about elevation rate of change, not horizontal curvature. What does that 6% refer to in the context of horizontal curvature?
 #1609032  by ryanwc

Looks like the official groundbreaking on P3 (Forest Hill Flyover) and GS19 (71st Ave. grade separation) took place yesterday. Glad to see it get started.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

If I understand the article, the work is phased, with Forest HIll completed by 2024, at which point the grade separation work starts.
 #1609088  by lpetrich

Chicago Region Environmental and Transportation Efficiency Program - CREATE Program - that site is also non-paywalled.

Its Latest News - CREATE Program now has CREATE Program Partners Celebrate Groundbreaking for Forest Hill Flyover (P3) and 71st Street Grade Separation (GS19) Projects - CREATE Program linking to details in a PDF file
Substantial construction will begin in October 2022 and completion is anticipated for 2024. The 71st Street Grade Separation project is closely interconnected with the P3 project therefore, there are design efficiencies on the projects were done in tandem. After P3 construction is complete, a second section of GS19 will begin construction in 2024.
What makes GS19 have two parts? I couldn't find anything on that.

The projects are the Forest Hill Flyover (P3) and the 71st Street Grade Separation (GS19). CREATE Projects - CREATE Program

It took a lot of searching for me to find what will be going over what, but I succeeded. The CSX tracks, the north-south ones, will be elevated over 71st St. and the east-west tracks at 75th St.
 #1609098  by lpetrich

The remaining 75th St. projects are in final design.
  • GS11 - Columbus Avenue & Belt Railway Company Grade Separation
  • EW2 - 80th Street Junction Replacements
  • P2 - Rock Island Connection
From the diagrams, P2 will involve a connection that goes eastward then northeastward from Union Ave., meeting the Rock Island route.