• Unloading Facilities for a Brewery and Printing Company?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Cadet57

On my layout I am modeling a fictional branch of a local short line. One of the customers is a medium sized brewery. What sort of equipment/facilities would be needed to unload ACF hoppers of grain/barley? I assume box car loading via my loading docks is accurate for both the brewery and paper plant? Also, what sort of equipment or facilities would be needed for tank cars at a printing company with molten sulfur, etc?
  by gp80mac

Cadet57 wrote:90's to today. So ACF centerflow hoppers, high cube paper box cars, 16k gallon Funnel flow tank cars, etc.
Most places that take covered hoppers have a pit. They can be a big pit that an entire car can sit on, or just a small pit that you can only unload one pocket at a time. The places that I spot covered hoppers at usually have the pit covered with a roof or in a building, but not all do. Some places with outdoor pits just use metal covers on their pits to keep rain/dirt out when not in use. Some places have the folding ladders/platforms to access the roof hatches, and I guess others do it the old fashioned way (climbing up the end ladder).

Some places have their tracks built on a small grade so they can "drop" cars off and onto the pit. Others use a big winch, steel cables and hooks to move the hoppers back and forth. That way they can get a different car to the pit if need be. Others use a trackmobile, small critter engine, front end loader, or any other type of machinery to shove cars around.

I've never served a brewery, but was in a beer warehouse or two. Real simple. There's a track (sometimes into a building) that goes alongside a loading dock. Come to think of it, the paper places are mostly the same way. Some have a little yard where the RR drops/picks up the cars and the paper company uses a trackmobile to spot cars in the actual building, while others have the RR do the actual spotting in the building.

Tank cars usually have the overhead/folding platforms to access the domes, the piping connections at the bottom, and some sort of collection plates/trays on the tracks to keep anything from hitting the actual earth.

And since you are modeling modern times, don't forget your derails and blue flags. And despite all the nifty "no hammering" stencils on covered hoppers, always have a couple sledge hammers sitting around the covered hoppers.
  by jaystreetcrr

The Schaefer brewery on the Brooklyn waterfront unloaded grain directly from covered hoppers on a small carfloat barge that was customized with suction pipes down the center. I've seen more details in various rail-marine publications and online stuff. This service was started by the Lehigh Valley in the early 60s and then taken over by the BEDT. I don't think you'll be shoehorning a rail marine operation next to your brewery but I thought you'd be interested in this unusual delivery system.
  by Otto Vondrak

See out brewery, based on the Genesee Brewery in Rochester:

http://ritmrc.org/photos/v/genesee/

Hopps and other materials are unloaded in a covered shed.

Finished bottled product is loaded up in another covered warehouse on the other side of the plant.

-otto-
  by wis bang

We used to load plastic pellets at a railyard inside the property of a former brewery in Newark, NJ. I think it was Newiellers, it was down neck kinda' east of Raymond Blvd.

There was a large warehouse w/ multiple stub end sidings runing inside. The new tennant actually had set up some of this area to transload hoppers of plastic into gaylord boxes undercover.

The area between each siding was large enough for multiple forklifts to operate w/ out hitting one another. This place was huge!

The tennant had a doublewide office trailer inside as the office. It was in the center as each side was divided for shipping/receiving.

Each siding had a huge roll up curtian door to block it off from view, among w/ a few man doors w/ steps to get to dock level. You could see it was a 'modern' end to an older facility. It could 'grow' out of a backdrop of compressed brew buildings and tank farm, even at an angle w/ a street side for truck loading...