• Union RR S2's borrowed from NH

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Engineer James

Well, I read in a book, BUILDING CITY SCENERY, (HO SCALE RAILROADS) well, the company borrowed 2 S2's. Did New Haven ever get them back??

by Engineer James

I am sorry. I was just wondering if they got their S2's back. I did not know NH, almost owned the UFRR.

by TomNelligan

As Mr. Telesha has noted, the Union Freight Railroad was majority owned by the New Haven. Originally it had its own locomotives, first geared steam engines that were shrouded in boxy carbodies, supposedly to avoid frightening horses, then GE 44-Tonners after dieselization. In the 1960s years it used leased NH S-2s, which became Penn Central S-2s as of 1969. The UFRR was abandoned a year or two later and the engine (there was only one at the end) went back to PC and was eventually scrapped.

by Engineer James

Thanks tom. :-D

by Statkowski

Actually, the Union Freight was owned by the Old Colony which, in turn, was leased by the New Haven.