• Union feright Co.?

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by Engineer James

Was there a small freight road in NYC? It had GE's I can remeber but, it hated using them due ton them only being able to haul 7 or 8 cars. Thgen It leased 2 S2's from NH.... It was featured in "Building City Scenery"... or something to the affect...
  by 2nd trick op

New York Harbor had a number of "water-locked" yards, in both Manhattan and Brooklyn, which were accessed only by carfloat. Most of them closed in the last years of the 1960's, when mergers and the loss of manufactured, miscellaneous and perishable traffic made them redundant.

Two of the best known were the Bush Terminal and Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal; the latter used "fireless cooker" locomotives operating on steam generated in a stationary plant and transferred to the loco.

A number of roads based in Pennsylvania's anthracite region, such as Jersey Central and Lackawanna, also maintained "satellite" yards in Brooklyn or the Bronx.

There is a ton of material on these fascinating operations on the net; here's a link:

http://www2pb.ip-soft.net/railinfo/car- ... minal.html

by Engineer James

No... thats not it... :-D

by brianpwestgate

Right name, wrong city. Union Freight Railroad was a railroad along the streets of Boston, connecting the New Haven at South Station with the Boston & Maine at North Station, more or less following the coast of the Shawmut Peninsula. Thus the lease of NH locomotives. I believe Kalmbach once published a book about it called "The Railroad that came out at night" If you Google it you should get a good amount of information. Enjoy!

by ACLfan

Brian,

Fantastic detective work!

ACLfan

by Aji-tater

"The Railroad That Came Out At Night" was written by Frank Kyper, and published in 1977 by Stephen Greene Press, not Kalmbach.

by Engineer James

Ahhh... I thought there was a Book calls "Building City Scenery" for HO scale, and Thats where I saw the railroad...

Did NH ever get their S2's back?

by SRS125

Engineer James wrote:Ahhh... I thought there was a Book calls "Building City Scenery" for HO scale, and Thats where I saw the railroad...

Did NH ever get their S2's back?
I think its in the Model Railroader Magazine which came out about 3-5 years ago in a 5 step planing. I'll have to see if I can find them and get the correct months and year.

by Sir Ray

[quote="Engineer James"]Ahhh... I thought there was a Book calls "Building City Scenery" for HO scale, and Thats where I saw the railroad...[\quote]
I am posting because I just saw this thread, and happen to own a copy of that very same book. It's copyrighted 2000, and is a pretty decent overall introduction to planning and detailing urban scenes, structures and roads, although by no means comprehensive. Some pretty neat detailing ideas and techniques are in it, which is why I brought the book in the first place.
The author, John Pryke, does NOT go into very much detail on the history and operations of Urban Railroads (except as how it relates to planning the layout) - mostly in a short intro chapter of a few pages, and specifically gives the Union Freight RR about 3/4th of a page (with pictures) on page 44 - that seems to be the sum total, although there may again be a reference here and there to illustrate why he set-up or build something on the featured layout.
The book seems fairly coherent and written specifically as a book on modeling urban railroads (well, in the 30-50s at least), and does NOT seem to be the usual Kalmback release of old MR articles with a similar theme cut and pasted into one book.

by Engineer James

Sir Ray... Do you know if NH ever got their S2's back?

by Sir Ray

Engineer James wrote:Sir Ray... Do you know if NH ever got their S2's back?
Sorry, that's not mentioned in the urban modeling book I have - And I do not have 'The Railroad That Came Out At Night', which I guess could tell you.

Addendum - I took a quick look in the book, and the S-2s are mentioned in passing as such:
John Pryke wrote:So in 1953 all of the GE engines were sold in favor of leased Alco S-2s from the parent New Haven. The S-2s lasted until abandonment in 1970
I'm afraid that's about it...

by Engineer James

They were in NH colors. I asked the smae question up in the NH forum, and appearently NH, almost OWNED the UFRR

by Sir Ray

Engineer James wrote:They were in NH colors. I asked the smae question up in the NH forum, and appearently NH, almost OWNED the UFRR
Hmm, didn't check the the responses in that forum, but come to think of it your question is almost a bar-bet (i.e. trick) one - The New Haven was merged into Penn Central in 1969, so if any got back the S-2s in 1970 it was the PC...

by Engineer James

Ahhh... do you have the book? It could possibily give a road number of the one NH that is pictured.

by Sir Ray

Engineer James wrote:Ahhh... do you have the book? It could possibily give a road number of the one NH that is pictured.
If you mean 'Building City Scenery', yes I do have it, and looking at page 44 it identifies one of the S2s as #0600, and you can barely make out 'New Haven' on the side hood (the color picture looks somewhat faded, but the hood sides and cab end are yellow, and the hood top, cab sides, and frame are blackish) - in this 1966 view the loco looks beat...