Railroad Forums 

• Umbazooksus and Eagle Lake Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1613204  by trainsinmaine

DeLorme's Maine Atlas and Gazetteer depicts the right-of-way of the Great Northern Paper Company's Umbazooksus and Eagle Lake Railroad, first operated by "King" Lacroix.
The line was abandoned in 1933. The atlas seems to indicate that the track is still there, beginning at the site of the long-gone Chamberlain Lake trestle and continuing from thence down the west side of the lake before it turns toward Umbazooksus Lake, where it terminates. Is this accurate? Is the track indeed still in existence? If so, can it be hiked? Would there be any artifacts to be seen? (I'm aware that it would be nearly impossible to get to by road, but it's worth an ask.)
 #1613212  by jaymac

Google supplies a number of hits -- even including a long-idle RAILROAD.NET forum -- if you enter "Eagle Lake and West Branch Railroad," the line's final name.
 #1618392  by oldlob

There's still the remains of the trestle across the Allagash River (Stream) where it enters Chamberlain Lake. See:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Eagle ... 20vMHRudGY

The locomotives ( Ibelieve) are still in the woods. I took some pics of them when I canoed down the Allagash in the 70s. They are situated on the narrow strip of land between Chamberlain and Eagle Lakes Back then there were also remains of the winch system to get the logs up frommEagle to the loading area.